Hunshelf Secondary Modern School, Chapeltown.

Did this eventually become part of Ecclesfield Secondary School?

Because when I went there (I only left 2 years ago) all the buildings had different names, and my form room and maths class was in Hunshelf building.

All of the older building have been knocked down now and changed into one big building, which is a shame really.

Hunshelf SM School was the buildings that were to the right of the Cowley View Road drive. All gone now, I believe.

There used to be a large circular bike shed next to the drive. It was hardly ever used for housing bikes, but regularly used for fights!

I think it was known as the Lower School once it became comprehensive in about 1966. It housed such rooms as General Science, Rural Studies, Hunshelf Library, Tricket Hall, The Bridge, and Domestic Science. Also there was a section called Further Education tagged on round the side of the hall.

All 1st and 2nd years were housed in Hunshelf block and the form numbers spelt Chapeltown for the 1st years and Rockingham for the 2nds, so for example you could be in 1C 1H..or 2R 2O.....

It was all made of concrete and was in sharp contrast to the Old School stone building which of course is still there.

Some old photos of Ecclesfield School have it on them, try the Ecclesfield School Virtual Community website.

Kev

The easiest way to describe where the library was is by this route, which you will remember.

Through the main entrance by the bridge, turn left where the main downstairs corridor crosses (opposite was Rural studies) keep going along the bottom corridor all the way to the end to the very last door at the end, that was the library.

The uniform was the same for years 1 to 5 regardless of which building you were in (maroon blazer, white or grey shirt, striped tie) but if you stayed on to become lower and upper 6th form you could have a black blazer.

I can visualise what you are telling me, but I still can't remember the library. Was the uniform the same as Ecclesfield's then, or is it Ecclesfield's you are describing? I wore the black blazer in the 5th form (1977 - 78).

Sorry I might be confusing this a bit,

The uniform I am describing was the one we had as the second year ever of comprehensive pupils, I don't know if it was different when it was Secondary Modern.

If it changed again after 1974 I don't know because I had left by then.

Library was left hand end of building, ground floor, windows looked onto playing field.