Hunshelf Secondary Modern School, Chapeltown.

I think Hunshelf must have adopted Ecclesfield's uniform wholesale. The SM's sence of inferiority in the relationship with its grammar school neighbour, I imagine? It certainly lost its name and, therefore, its identity, in the merger. Surely, it should have been called Ecclesfield-Hunshelf Comprehensive School?

• 1 year later...

Ecclesfield Grammar School was opened in 1931 by the West Riding County Council (WRCC). Significant additions to the buildings were made in 1953, and again in the 1960s. The school became Ecclesfield Comprehensive in 1967, having amalgamated with the newly-built Hunshelf School.

Not allowed to post a link yet but see Ecclesfield school virtual community

Kev

The easiest way to describe where the library was is by this route, which you will remember.

Through the main entrance by the bridge, turn left where the main downstairs corridor crosses (opposite was Rural studies) keep going along the bottom corridor all the way to the end to the very last door at the end, that was the library.

The uniform was the same for years 1 to 5 regardless of which building you were in (maroon blazer, white or grey shirt, striped tie) but if you stayed on to become lower and upper 6th form you could have a black blazer.

The uniform you describe is the one worn by Ecclesfield Grammar, but I don't remember any black blazers though.

I think Hunshelf Secondary School was opend around 1964/5. I had just become postman at Ecclesfield and had to deliver to the firms who were building it. Their names were Gee, Walker and Slater and TG Construction. I had to deliver because the Chapeltown delivery person didn't like going there because of comments made by the workmen. However, when the school opened, the head made a complaint about the school being addressed as Ecclesfield, when it should have been Chapeltown. Deliveries were then returned to Chapeltown. I remember Mrs Norton was the Secretary there.

• 1 year later...
I think it was known as the Lower School once it became comprehensive in about 1966. It housed such rooms as General Science, Rural Studies, Hunshelf Library, Tricket Hall, The Bridge, and Domestic Science. Also there was a section called Further Education tagged on round the side of the hall.

thats just how i remember it,i started there in september 1969.

but the forms then were....starting from the top class where pupils who came from well off familys were put...n.s.e.w/t.o.p/a.b.c/l.r. so class 1n would have been the top class and 1r the bottom class ,where the kids from poor familys were dumped and never had much of a chance. hopefu

lly all that has changed.

I started in 1968 so was 1 year above you.

You might be right, the Chapeltown form system was my first year 1968, the Rockingham system my second year (1969) I was in 1P then 2K.

Then we moved onto the main building as 3K. Then in the 4th year you were in either 4G1, 4G2, 4C1, 4C2 or 4E, 4Q, 4U, 4A, 4L, or 4S (EQUALS).

Looks like I missed the changes I started at Ecclesfield in 1975. At that time the school was overcrowd my first year I was in prefab 5, the classrooms set up on the side of lower school.

Memories of Lower school, the break time tuck shop in the lunch Hall. The round bike sheds were the home of the smokers. The bridge that went from lower school to the Hall housed the teachers lounge and out of bounds, On a bet I ran across, got caught and caned. There was the rural studies area at the back with animals and on cold days we could force the door near the tennis court that was a little corridor to the gym and back to hall and we would huddle in there to keep warm.

I think it was known as the Lower School once it became comprehensive in about 1966. It housed such rooms as General Science, Rural Studies, Hunshelf Library, Tricket Hall, The Bridge, and Domestic Science. Also there was a section called Further Education tagged on round the side of the hall.

thats just how i remember it,i started there in september 1969.

but the forms then were....starting from the top class where pupils who came from well off familys were put...n.s.e.w/t.o.p/a.b.c/l.r. so class 1n would have been the top class and 1r the bottom class ,where the kids from poor familys were dumped and never had much of a chance. hopefu

lly all that has changed.

It hadn't changed by the 70's I was off the Angram Bank Estate and put into

N.E.W. Y.O.U.T.H, it was all football and metal work classes

The bridge that went from lower school to the Hall housed the teachers lounge and out of bounds, On a bet I ran across, got caught and caned.

I never knew anyone get caned at Ecclesfield. Mr Jennings didn't beleive in it and so that's why we had 'merit half' when you could finish at lunch time when school broke up for a break unless you had misbehaved and therefore 'lost your merit half'

The Lower School had its own Head, but I can't remember who it was?

Other classrooms in the building I can remember are: General Science labs 1 and 2, and the Science Classroom. In the Trickett Hall was a theatre stage which had an underground room which you got to down some steps stage left.

The Gym was behind the hall looking out over the tennis courts. At the back of the gym was a open area above the boiler house. Underneath the hall and accessed from the path at the side of the lower tennis court was Woodwork and Metalwork classrooms. And of course the kitchens.

Altogether quite a complex.