Hunshelf Secondary Modern School, Chapeltown.

It hadn't changed by the 70's I was off the Angram Bank Estate and put into

N.E.W. Y.O.U.T.H, it was all football and metal work classes

I left Ecclesfield in 77...

I was in S.A.I.L.O.R wasnt NEW YOUTH for the less intelligent :D

I was in SALTBOX in 1974... I can't remember the name of the other one :confused:

I always thought the lower school & new(ish) science block were ugly, even more so when I went back several years after leaving. Glad they were demolished.

• 1 year later...

I was there (lower school) between 1977 and 1979. This must be one of the most ill-designed and poorly built buildings ever. I think it was built in 1966, and the architects/builders had done a runner by 1977, and the place was falling down and supported by large wooden struts within 12 years. It was a positively scary place, and I still have a recurrent dream/nightmare about being there, and losing my timetable (must say something). I can still remember every room, and could produce a plan if required. Teachers I remember were Mr Smith (French - good teacher, went to Paris with him & on 2 exchanges), Miss Bennett, Mrs Quine, Mr Ellin, Mr Jones, Mr Davies, Mr Price. Life got better as I progrssed through the school, and I particularly enjoyed the 6th form.

Edited by wakefield

I was in SAILOR too ! The other set was JUDGE Which was the name of the Head of Lower School.

The form letters were YORKGLEND in 1977 and YORKSCABD in 1978. The houses were Eagle, Hawk, Kestrel and Falcon (I think). Eagle was red.

I never knew anyone get caned at Ecclesfield. Mr Jennings didn't beleive in it and so that's why we had 'merit half' when you could finish at lunch time when school broke up for a break unless you had misbehaved and therefore 'lost your merit half'

reading this quote reminded me of my worst experience of the cane. during a woodwork lesson ,roughly 1973 one of the lads, whose dad was in the local shooting club, had brought to school a live bullet!! I put it in a vice and we dared each other to set it off. eventually another lad hit it with a hammer, being indoors the noise of the bullet going off was unbelievably loud. the teacher came over and saw the empty shell still in the vice and phoned for mr judge to come down a.s.a.p. he arrived, lined us all up and asked ,anyone involved step forward. soon after 3 of us were in his office where we got six very hard strokes of the cane and a letter to take home to our parents, and that was it. the letters never made it home, but i often think back and realise how dangerous it was. imagine doing that now!!

Was the woodwork teacher Foster by any chance. Tool box correct Sir....I had worse than the cane. I chucked a steel bolt at a kid called Blood, and he bled alright....I was caught doing it and had to sit a whole afternoon in Mrs Staine's office. She kept tutting and calling me stupid. If Jennings didn't believe in the cane, Oggy Jennet and Mr Judge must have slipped under the radar.

The library btw was at the left end of the bottom floor. We went in there for nit checks supervised by Granny Gradden who kind of lived in the library. She was at Bletchley Park in WW2 helping decode Enigma traffic from the Germans.

Was the woodwork teacher Foster by any chance. Tool box correct Sir....I had worse than the cane. I chucked a steel bolt at a kid called Blood, and he bled alright....I was caught doing it and had to sit a whole afternoon in Mrs Staine's office. She kept tutting and calling me stupid. If Jennings didn't believe in the cane, Oggy Jennet and Mr Judge must have slipped under the radar.

The library btw was at the left end of the bottom floor. We went in there for nit checks supervised by Granny Gradden who kind of lived in the library. She was at Bletchley Park in WW2 helping decode Enigma traffic from the Germans.

I think you mean Granny Gradwell!