Hunshelf Secondary Modern School, Chapeltown.

Was the woodwork teacher Foster by any chance.

dont think it was foster. the name middleton comes to mind but im not 100% sure. long time ago know.

Middleton did metalwork in our first year. I recall that we made a copper ashtray (an ashtray, imagine that!) and that every single person in class received exactly the same mark and report comment " XXXX has made a steady improvement this year". I don't think he spent much time actually in class - useless.

Boys had to do needlework too and it would be an understatement to say that I was less than enthusiastic. After devising a x-stitch F1 car (Jackie Stewart's Tyrell Ford if you must ask) we moved on to macrame and since the teacher had taken a particular dislike to me and my lack of enthusiasm for the subject I spent the entire half term producing around three rows of a hanging plant pot holder. Can't remember her name (youngish, dark hair, attitude problem towards disruptive 10 yr old boys :)) , but ISTR that the craft room was the ground floor front RHS.

Edited by Tony

They perhaps started using the can after Mr Jennings left then because they certainly didn't use it when was there 1971 - 1976

Did you have Merit Half then if they had the can ? You know when you could finish at dinner time on breaking up days?

They perhaps started using the can after Mr Jennings left then because they certainly didn't use it when was there 1971 - 1976

Did you have Merit Half then if they had the can ? You know when you could finish at dinner time on breaking up days?

yes, as well as the cane we also lost the next merit half for the incident with the bullitt. come to think of it i lost quite a few merit half,s over the years, although we still went home anyway. after the holidays the teachers had either forgotten us or most likley couldnt be bothered.

yes, as well as the cane we also lost the next merit half for the incident with the bullitt. come to think of it i lost quite a few merit half,s over the years, although we still went home anyway. after the holidays the teachers had either forgotten us or most likley couldnt be bothered.

Probably couldn'tbe bothered :hihi:when you think about it I bet they hated it when they had to do it :hihi:

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was a pupil at the school when it was Ecclesfield's Lower School. Can someone tell me when it first opened? And, does anyone remember the derelict combined harvester that was on the school playing field until 1974?

I cannot remember this school at all. My sister attended Ecclesfield Grammar School. If you did not pass for this you attended first year at Bracken Hill (the old camp) in huts and then second year onwards at High Green Secondary Modern. This was in the fifties.I passed for the Broadway Technical Grammar school Barnsley, aged 13.

• 1 year later...

Hunshelf Secondary opened in about 1965. It was a prime example of the concrete architecture of the time. That is not a compliment.

It was freezing in winter due to the poorly designed windows and the wind tunnel effect because the teaching block and halls were built in parallel. I spent many an unhappy day there with only a few teachers bothered about giving a good education to the ones who didn't get into the Grammar.

Before joining the Grammar/Comp in 1967 we wore bottle green. After joining the Comp in 1967 we adopted the grammar colour burgundy

• 3 months later...
I was a pupil at the school when it was Ecclesfield's Lower School. Can someone tell me when it first opened? And, does anyone remember the derelict combined harvester that was on the school playing field until 1974?

Further to my earlier posting, if memory serves, the school was opened in 1966 by councillor John Trickett, and that is why the hall is so named. I was there in the late 70s, when it was the lower school. The head was Mr Judge, and I think that Mr Glenn and Miss Wood were deputies. Mr Glenn was a complete prawn. He was into ballet and fencing, and would strike ballet or fencing poses to supposedly impress you. I see from postings in the main Ecclesfield School posting, that he was also a sadistic pervert. He was married to Mrs Glenn who taught the remedials. Perhaps she should have taught him also.

Mr Judge had a wicker basket in the corner of his office, containing approx 20 canes. He taught me later for Economics, and was quite an amusing and non-scary teacher.

In addition to the lower school, there was a squarish block, which was at the time called the Hunshelf block. The sixth form common rooms were in here.

The rooms in the lower school main block were: rooms 1 to 12, 2A and 3A, 3 science labs, 2 home economics rooms, library, rural studies, art, geography, woodwork and classics. In addition, there was a music room opposite the head's office, and a metalwork room and woodwork room which were hidden away near the tennis courts. There was also an adult education centre.

The rooms in the Hunshelf block were 2 common rooms, 1 classroom, woodword, metalwork, music and 3 science labs.

What a memory! I can also remember the rooms in the main school, but will not bore you further!