Hunshelf Secondary Modern School, Chapeltown.

Further to my earlier posting, if memory serves, the school was opened in 1966 by councillor John Trickett, and that is why the hall is so named. I was there in the late 70s, when it was the lower school. The head was Mr Judge, and I think that Mr Glenn and Miss Wood were deputies. Mr Glenn was a complete prawn. He was into ballet and fencing, and would strike ballet or fencing poses to supposedly impress you. I see from postings in the main Ecclesfield School posting, that he was also a sadistic pervert. He was married to Mrs Glenn who taught the remedials. Perhaps she should have taught him also.

Mr Judge had a wicker basket in the corner of his office, containing approx 20 canes. He taught me later for Economics, and was quite an amusing and non-scary teacher.

In addition to the lower school, there was a squarish block, which was at the time called the Hunshelf block. The sixth form common rooms were in here.

The rooms in the lower school main block were: rooms 1 to 12, 2A and 3A, 3 science labs, 2 home economics rooms, library, rural studies, art, geography, woodwork and classics. In addition, there was a music room opposite the head's office, and a metalwork room and woodwork room which were hidden away near the tennis courts. There was also an adult education centre.

The rooms in the Hunshelf block were 2 common rooms, 1 classroom, woodword, metalwork, music and 3 science labs.

What a memory! I can also remember the rooms in the main school, but will not bore you further!

No it was the Wharncliffe block!

I went to Lound Junior School in the 1960's, and when I was 11 if you passed your 11+ you went to Ecclesfield Grammar, and if you failed you went to Hunshelf next door. I passed my 11+ and for a year went to the lower part of the school which was in Ecclesfield village at the time. There was a terrible snobbishness at Ecclesfield, and the teachers made us look down at the Hunshelf lot, and there were often arguments and fights between the 2 places.

After a couple of years @67/68 the 2 schools were joined together, but it was a long time before they became properly integrated and I think it was particularly hard for the brighter Hunshelf pupils who were drafted into the old Grammar school classes.

As part of the integration us Grammar school pupils had to have classes at the Hunshelf side, and I can remember thinking how drab it was, and cheap looking, being completely made of concrete slabs, with no plastering or anything. It was an awful building.

Having said all that, the Grammar school part could be cold and draughty too, and some of the windows which were high up in the classes wouldn't open, and some wouldn't close. So you could be frozen in winter and boiling in summer.

In response to an earlier post regarding caning, it did take place at Ecclesfield but not as far as I can remember by Mr Jennings himself who I remember as being a really old Churchill-type figure who rarely left his office. I was caned myself and 'slippered' by Hoggy Jennett, and the lower school Headmaster Mr Tudor too. Never did my any harm, but never made me change either!