Real ale in The Rose House Walkley

taxman

Hasn't it had real ale for a long time? Maybe not, but it did the last time I went in (which admittedly was probably about 6 years ago! I think it was one pump of Magnet or John's). It looks a bit better since it was painted. It's not somewhere you'd go unless you lived within walking distance, and maybe not then. It could be a good place given its location so good luck to them.

Real ale pubs don't seem to be struggling.

The ones that are proper real ale pubs and have built up a discerning clientele over time don't seem to be struggling (which doesn't mean they shouldn't keep making an effort though, a bit of spit and polish and a friendlier welcome wouldn't come amiss in some places!!).

Pubs who think that just providing a real ale alongside an array of smoothflows, creamflows and tepid, flavourless lager may find that they still struggle.

Ooooh, noticed some proper ale pumps when I went past tonight including one dispensing Doom Bar, which isn't a bad drop.

I hope the place succeeds, it's a knife's edge world for publicans at the moment.

Years ago a pal and me went to a real ale event ,correction a gig at a venue that had held one the day before,the bar was still selling the real ale left over from the day before so we had a sample or two.The thing that struck me first was how over sweet and expensive the various brews were,most were like cough medicine,we sampled the worlds strongest beers and lager but finished up supping the hand pulled stones that the place has all ways sold.Why does real ale have to have stupid names like doom bar, bishops finger speckled hen etc why not breweryname bitter/mild or what ever.

Archived