Thomas St Cold Store.

Texas

Anybody remember this establishment? Thomas Street was off the Moor as I remember.

I heard a story about a guy who was a bit down on his luck and answered a ad' for a driver/ butcher, he could drive but couldn't 'butcher' to save his life. Anyhow he got a start and expecting to drive and make deliverys etc; etc; he turned up at the cold store, was given a set of butchers clobber, knives and stuff, and a mountain of lamb, and told to get on with it. First half hour he must've cost them a few quid by putting more good meat in the waste bag than waste. The manager booted him out. But he gave him a tenner for cheek. I never did learn how to bone a neck of lamb.

Hi Texas - good story! My grandma (who lived just round the corner from Thomas Street) would have been outside buying up the "waste"..:)

The 1954 Kelly's Directory shows "Edward Wild & Son Ltd., butchers (cold storage)" in Thomas Street. Here's a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site showing the area - the words THOMAS ST COLD STORAGE can be seen on one of the buildings.

Archived