Have you been inspired?

Have you been inspired?

If you have been inspired to become more active due to team GB’s success don’t let that inspiration go to waste

Come and have a try at the martial art of Taekwondo, you don’t have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great. (unknown author)

We train every Thursday at the Venue in Stocksbridge form 6:30, only £4 per session. No monthly fees or huge upfront payments

(Sevenhills are not members of WTF Olympic Taekwondo)

http://www.sevenhillstkd.ukmudo.co.uk

Have you been inspired?

If you have been inspired to become more active due to team GB’s success don’t let that inspiration go to waste

Come and have a try at the martial art of Taekwondo, you don’t have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great. (unknown author)

We train every Thursday at the Venue in Stocksbridge form 6:30, only £4 per session. No monthly fees or huge upfront payments

http://www.sevenhillstkd.ukmudo.co.uk

Funny you mention the TKD in the Olympics, we were talking about the TKD in training today and we came with a few conclusions.

1.The scoring was confusing for the general public with many people not knowing exactly what scores and what doesnt.

(should the public NEED to have a TKD Black Belt to have to understand how to score a Fighting Art ?)

2.They had their hands by the waist a lot which counteracts what most Martial Arts teach.

3.Many people were questioning if they were actually "Allowed" to Punch.

Of course I know the rules on Punching in both ITF and WTF styles of TKD.

Other than that Jade Jones was excellent! Her performance was legendary.

My own opinion is that the scoring system and rules however need to be revised.

I agree with you on the scoring system, this was the first Olympics which used this system. They don’t punch to the head because most fighting art do, everyone can do it and the Koreans wanted to be different this allows the guard to drop to deflect shots to the body.

Fighting/sparring is however only one aspect of the martial art of Taekwondo. We teach the art in its entirety which does include guards, punching and striking to the head, legs groin and much more fun stuff which can not be done in a ring.

Interesting. Didn't watch a great deal of Taekwondo at the Olympics 'cos it looked a bit too kicky. Good to know that the actual art is more interesting. I would imagine sport karate would look equally boring to non afficianados, eg too much emphasis on reverse punch, or am I behind the times ?

• 1 month later...

Below you will see the tenants of Taekwondo- is misleading the general public included?

•Etiquette/Courtesy

•Modesty/integrity

•Perseverance

•Self Control

•Indomitable Spirit

Be honest and show humility

Master Andy Hill 6th Dan WTF

Archived