Speeding fine in spain..

If you read the title guys it was a fly drive hol, so license was req'd to book. And i did recieve a posted fine, along with a nice photo of my good self tootling along at 109km/h in an 80...Dammit.

Thanks for all suggestions, will let you know the outcome...

Oh and Billy Casper....slow down in the future.

Hello all, After a recent fly-drive holiday to spain, I have today recieved a speeding fine from the spanish authorities, Before anyone jumps in I am not interested in dodging it, i want to pay it, but it is all in spanish and i cannot see a number to call so do not know what to do really, Has anyone experienced this before and will i get points on my license as a result???

Muchos Gracias:hihi:

Personally I WOULD dodge it, you pay enough and that country cant manage its own finances - they will not chase you down on that one, ignore it.

Saying that you probably dont want to ever risk getting pulled over should you visit again BUT they will never stop you at passport control for anything like that.

Hello all, After a recent fly-drive holiday to spain, I have today recieved a speeding fine from the spanish authorities, Before anyone jumps in I am not interested in dodging it, i want to pay it, but it is all in spanish and i cannot see a number to call so do not know what to do really, Has anyone experienced this before and will i get points on my license as a result???

Muchos Gracias:hihi:

This could be a scam as seen on BBCs The Real Hustle.

But have you received a fine through the post!

I would be wondering which UK department has provided my address( bearing in mind it would have to be in line with the data protection act) and what is legal standing?

Won't that info have been given by the hire company...?

Personally I WOULD dodge it, you pay enough and that country cant manage its own finances - they will not chase you down on that one, ignore it...[/Quote]

The Spanish government might not chase you ... But they might get the British courts to chase you.

See This Europa Press Release and EU directive 2011/82/EU

Saying that you probably dont want to ever risk getting pulled over should you visit again BUT they will never stop you at passport control for anything like that.

Tell that to the British Motorists who have been presented with traffic fines by the French Police when they tried to board the return ferry to the UK. :hihi:

Just a similar example I recieved a parking ticket in Spain and the fee was equal to about £75, at first I chose to ignore it and then recieved a summons to either appear in court in Spain or pay up and to default would result in 10 days imprisonment.

I phoned my solicitor up and he told me to pay up as a warrant would be enforced and it was no different now to getting a ticket in England.

I sent copy to my friends in Spain who checked it out and told me it was genuine, I asked my friend in spain to go to the court and pay the fine for me.

Basically if you never go back you may get away with it if you intend to return as I did be very aware the Spain authourities are very unsympathetic when they get hold of you.

I know of a person who owed a debt in Malaga from 12 years ago and was arrested arriving in Alicante after 12 years she was arrested at passport control and it took 11 months for her to get bail and £30,000 in legal costs, the case is still ongoing now 3 years after her arrest.

As for the French they make massive amounts of money from targeting British motorists if they had no way of collecting these fines why would they bother dishing them out in the first place?

Not only are fines/penalties awarded in one EU state enforceable in another - the fines and penalties are awarded in accordance with local law. What might be legal in the UK may not be legal in another country.

The items you are required to carry in your vehicle and the equipment fitted to that vehicle vary from country to country, too. The excuse that your vehicle is registered elsewhere is not acceptable.

(Don't forget your breathalyser if you're going to France. ;))

Archived