Tricks of the dole cheats

So they put on this over sensationalized nonsense, then dedicate their music channel to chavs (which are for the most part, THE problem). About the usual rubbish to be expected from a desperately dying tv company (that keeps adding more and more channels with repeats, adverts and sponsors)

The days of commercial tv are clearly numbered.

As usual a tasty title won an audience for a bland expose.

I watched a bit last night and despite the silly title, it was pretty well done and did a good job of exposing the broken Job Centre plus system - I saw three people on it

- First bloke had to write down 14 things he had done during the week to find work. In order to prove that no one ever read this he wrote down his shopping list in the space instead. He handed it over and no one read it - he was paid anyway.

- Second bloke had to apply for 3 jobs a week - he did, but changed the wording on the example letters to say things like ' Do NOT consider me for this position' - no one read them and he was paid anyway.

- Third person was a woman who had found herself an unpaid placement, which would have been useful to he getting a job. She was told that if she took that, instead of some slave labour position by an approved partner (eg stacking tat at a pound shop), her benefits would be cut.

The whole system is broken - people deliberately and obviously breaking the rules carry on getting paid, whilst someone who finds a placement gets her money taken away even though it would have been more useful than some shelf stacking slavery.

Lesson learned = there is nothing to be gained from being pro active and seeking meaningful employment if you are on the dole. Its better to put joke entries on the form rather than tell the truth.

So they put on this over sensationalized nonsense, then dedicate their music channel to chavs (which are for the most part, THE problem). About the usual rubbish to be expected from a desperately dying tv company (that keeps adding more and more channels with repeats, adverts and sponsors)

The days of commercial tv are clearly numbered.

Apart from the title, it was a good documentary.

If using a silly title gets more people to watch and find out how the system is broken, then it has done its job.

The real impression was nothing whatsoever to do with dole cheats but how tax payers money is wasted on Jobcentre plus offices, that appear to be nothing but processing offices for job claimants.

There are computers for claimants to do a job search, so what use are the staff who can't even find DWP jobs on there?

and taxpayers money being wasted on a4e/wiseability etc it all adds up

I think you should give jobcentre workers a break.

They do a rotton job having to deal with a lot of angry / distressed / depressed people, and they are probably overworked considering the unemployment figures, the paperwork and the chaotic state of the system.

They may want to help but don't have the time, and don't have the jobs either.

They are in a pretty hopeless situation.

They do a rotton job having to deal with a lot of angry / distressed / depressed people, and they are probably overworked considering the unemployment figures, the paperwork and the chaotic state of the system.

Its not the fault of the people who work there - its the totally useless system.

Originally Posted by Anna B View Post

Stereolab

Its not the fault of the people who work there - its the totally useless system.

Cheers both, some sense written at last.

The real impression was nothing whatsoever to do with dole cheats but how tax payers money is wasted on Jobcentre plus offices, that appear to be nothing but processing offices for job claimants.

There are computers for claimants to do a job search, so what use are the staff who can't even find DWP jobs on there?

The program was misleading as you say as it was more to do with DWP inefficiencies rather than dole cheats. BTW £0.8bn of the reported total benefits fraud is down to DWP official errors and inefficiencies, great how they screw the figures innit.

They also didn't mention that the jobcentre advisor's cant/shouldn't check into job applications because of the Data Protection Act.

But as already said elsewhere the roles of the jobcentres have changed as most of what they used to do is now subbed out to private companies. Most people now on the dole for 6 months or more will be signed up to one of those private providers who now do what the jobcentres used to do for free.

Do you know .. I'm not working at the moment .. nor claiming Job Seeker's Allowance by the way, as I am not fit for full time work ...

I would however, totally and utterly for FREE ... sit for ten minutes at the side of the A6 and get pics of people on mobile phones and speeding (usually) motorbikes !!

I think I'd have to get the say so from the police and they've always laughed when I've suggested it.

By the way, I am in no way a dole cheat as I'm not claiming.

The program was misleading as you say as it was more to do with DWP inefficiencies rather than dole cheats. BTW £0.8bn of the reported total benefits fraud is down to DWP official errors and inefficiencies, great how they screw the figures innit.

It's the age-old problem, unrealistic targets and corners are cut resulting in a deteriorisation of service and procedures, procedures which can always be worked around in every system. No matter what fool-proof system is put in place, it won't be long until it's circumvented.

Archived