How unfair is this government to those who want to work.

This sounds harsher than it's meant to be, but if you are unskilled after 3 years, why are you unskilled after 3 years ? I think, unless things have changed, even f/t courses are classed as p/t with the DWP. Even if they aren't - do a part time course.

No problems. I am actually very skilled in a variety of subjects and if I now start to re-train (again) I will probably be out of the working loop and retired by the time any course finishes.

What I was attempting to point out was that the majority of those who are seeking jobs and have been long term unemployed >3 years are generally lacking skills. Unfortunately there are not enough unskilled vacancies about that can accommodate those people. Service jobs come and go and when computing and automation has replaced may workers where do people expect the new jobs to come from.

We are at a tipping point, economies have reached their peak and we are now set for a big decline in workers and jobs, and its all going global and exactly how depressions start.

I will look into this, I had assumed one would need a specific degree or other higher qualification. I'd probably enjoy that type of work.

Planning to apply to study medicine, but it's very competitive for mature entrants so I need a plan B.

If I were presented with a choice of equal candidates apart from degrees, one of whom had Comp Sci and the other had Mathematics, the maths graduate would win every time... comp sci is useful but it's not necessarily what employers want.

I will look into this, I had assumed one would need a specific degree or other higher qualification. I'd probably enjoy that type of work.

Planning to apply to study medicine, but it's very competitive for mature entrants so I need a plan B.

Don't you have a PhD? If so that would demonstrate the requisite ability to learn quite amply.

Wherever did I say that a course is needed? Read back through the thread - I've shown a device that is ideal for learning.

If you have a modern PC which I think probably most posters on here do then you have all you need to do some serious learning yourself, and the cost will be fairly close to zero.

Actually I think I put you in by mistake, I was referring to someone else's post. Sorry.

However to pick up on something you did say, the trouble with self learning, which is in itself a good idea, is that you don't get any qualifications at the end of it, and without them you're not as likely to get asked to an interview.

I've got opening for two people here. Pay on offer is £32k a year, plus medical cover, bonuses etc.

Is that a rubbish job? It's about average for this industry, and I can't fill them with people from the UK because there are no people willing to take them. Perhaps it's that people don't want them, rather than them not being available.

Could you PM me the details? I know someone who is desperate for a job and would jump at this chance. I'm being serious.

I don't agree that we are in that position. I know of no cases where children have starved in the UK due to state aid being insufficient or withheld.

Agreed, (though plenty go hungry) but then nobody in Africa has died of hypothermia. They have over here because they couldn't afford heating.

Isn't that the same sort of thing? Death due to lack of money?

Don't you have a PhD? If so that would demonstrate the requisite ability to learn quite amply.

For medicine, or for IT?

Still not sure about medicine. I think I'd be in with a slightly above average chance of getting a place due to relevant PhD subject and further research experience, but student life for another 4 years... need to keep thinking about this one.

Haven't seriously considered IT in the past but I'll look into it. Any tips for what to learn to be in a good position to apply for junior IT jobs such as the DBA role Obelix mentioned?

I don't think that's the case. He will try and save face by finding a fall guy and it's already happened once or twice .... or more.

take a good luck at david cameron, do you really think he is the brains behind it all :hihi::hihi:

he just takes his orders, he is making very powerful and very rich friends now, just like tony blair, they are all the same, just the face of it all.

For medicine, or for IT?

Still not sure about medicine. I think I'd be in with a slightly above average chance of getting a place due to relevant PhD subject and further research experience, but student life for another 4 years... need to keep thinking about this one.

Haven't seriously considered IT in the past but I'll look into it. Any tips for what to learn to be in a good position to apply for junior IT jobs such as the DBA role Obelix mentioned?

I meant for IT.

Getting onto a medical degree is probably harder than finding an entry level job in the IT industry. That said, I know people who've done it as a 2nd degree, and I know a lot more who've done it as a first or are doing it now, it's hard, but it's not beyond the reach of the average smart person. As someone with a PhD you've already proven that you're more academically capable than the average person.

I don't think you could walk straight into a junior DBA role no matter what training you did, it needs relevant experience, best bet would be a 2nd line help desk role where you get to be involved in a lot of different areas and then an internal transfer to a role like that (or other area that you wanted to get into).

Archived