How unfair is this government to those who want to work.

Agreed, (though plenty go hungry) but then nobody in Africa has died of hypothermia. They have over here because they couldn't afford heating.

Isn't that the same sort of thing? Death due to lack of money?

Children have died due to a lack of heating?

Can I point you to my earlier post (101) that shows not all jobs being advertised are "rubbish"..

I'm not saying all jobs advertised are rubbish, but an awful lot are, particularly at the lower level. And good jobs are vastly oversubscribed. As I mentioned earlier: 1,000 jobs going at Jaguar, 38,000 applications. People will apply for jobs that are worth having.

Incidently, not a single one of those jobs advertised was in Sheffield. I'm not saying people shouldn't move to get a job, but a) not everyone is able to, and b) the job has to be secure and worth it to do so. Moving is expensive.

I'm not saying all jobs advertised are rubbish, but an awful lot are, particularly at the lower level. And good jobs are vastly oversubscribed. As I mentioned earlier: 1,000 jobs going at Jaguar, 38,000 applications. People will apply for jobs that are worth having.

Incidently, not a single one of those jobs advertised was in Sheffield. I'm not saying people shouldn't move to get a job, but a) not everyone is able to, and b) the job has to be secure and worth it to do so. Moving is expensive.

No it was JackLakeland who said all the jobs advertised were rubbish..that's why I quoted him in my post..just go to the website and put "Sheffield" in the search option..there's loads and that's just one jobsearch site..

No it was JackLakeland who said all the jobs advertised were rubbish..that's why I quoted him in my post..just go to the website and put "Sheffield" in the search option..there's loads and that's just one jobsearch site..

IMO a rubbish job is one that doesn't pay a reasonable wage.

A reasonable wage is one where there's enough to pay the rent / mortgage, run a small second hand car, have holidays, have a social life and provide nice things for kids and yourself.

I'm not referring to those jobs that are traditionally done by the young who still live at home, but those whereby one can provide for a family and have a reasonable existence.

Alternatively, I would accept that some jobs don't pay much while training, this is acceptable because there's something to build on for the future.

I'm talking, in the main, traditional unskilled, semi-skilled and trade jobs, performed by the working classes, by those who don't have the academic ability to go to university or do more technical jobs, jobs like these have all but disappeared. Manufacturing, construction, mining and public sector jobs have all but gone.

At one point these are the jobs ordinary working class people did. Now they're expected to work in a call centre for rubbish wages and accept it.

If the government hadn't wasted so much money on other folly, perhaps we would still have the skills we once had.

It will all end in tears.

IMO a rubbish job is one that doesn't pay a reasonable wage.

A reasonable wage is one where there's enough to pay the rent / mortgage, run a small second hand car, have holidays, have a social life and provide nice things for kids and yourself.

I'm not referring to those jobs that are traditionally done by the young who still live at home, but those whereby one can provide for a family and have a reasonable existence.

Alternatively, I would accept that some jobs don't pay much while training, this is acceptable because there's something to build on for the future.

I'm talking, in the main, traditional unskilled, semi-skilled and trade jobs, performed by the working classes, by those who don't have the academic ability to go to university or do more technical jobs, jobs like these have all but disappeared. Manufacturing, construction, mining and public sector jobs have all but gone.

At one point these are the jobs ordinary working class people did. Now they're expected to work in a call centre for rubbish wages and accept it.

If the government hadn't wasted so much money on other folly, perhaps we would still have the skills we once had.

It will all end in tears.

You said all jobs advertised were "rubbish"..I just posted something that disproved yoiur claim..that's all..no one has to accept just working in a call centre (although there's nothing wrong with that) there are courses all over for people to take advantage of to better their employment prospects..the work environment has been changing for a long time...you have to adapt with it...

I don't know where you looked but if you look at this site there's very little that could be applied for by ordinary unqualified people...even more so if you look for something that is fairly paid...

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/sheffield

You said all jobs advertised were "rubbish"..I just posted something that disproved yoiur claim..that's all..no one has to accept just working in a call centre (although there's nothing wrong with that) there are courses all over for people to take advantage of to better their employment prospects..the work environment has been changing for a long time...you have to adapt with it...

You don't live in the real world.

There are very few reasonable jobs for the unemployed. There will always be jobs for Lawyers and Accountants but the people who are unemployed don't have the ability to do these sorts of jobs.

There is nothing wrong with working in a call centre if you don't have a family to support. If you do, its a rubbish job.

Archived