How unfair is this government to those who want to work.

I hate to mention this but there are lots of graduates still unemployed with qualifications coming out of their a***

This is the result of Tony Blair's push to get 50% of school leavers into university.

If everybody trains to be an accountant or IT boffin the result will be the same. Nobody knows what to train in these days, as there are always too many chasing the same job.

I'll say it again, there are not enough jobs to go round no matter how you try to improve your chances.

Little point in getting out of bed then. Just lie there until ed milliband strides into number 10, arms aloft, "I'm here to save you". I'd do every course known to man rather than put my faith in a politician of any colour.

Little point in getting out of bed then. Just lie there until ed milliband strides into number 10, arms aloft, "I'm here to save you". I'd do every course known to man rather than put my faith in a politician of any colour.

You think Ed Milliband will make a jot of difference? Unfortunately politicians cost us a lot of money for being useless. Can I have my tax back please?

We need a new way of distributing either jobs or wealth.

Maybe all jobs should be job share so that everyone gets more leisure time, and a part time job. Productivity might go up with 2 people working. it's the reverse of what's happening now; one person being made redundant and the remaining employee having to do the work of two. While this might help businesses on the edge, there are a lot of others taking the mick.

We need new ways of thinking to solve these problems. The fact that nobody trusts politicians any more doesn't help. Everyone sees them as being all out for themselves, rather than putting the needs of the electorate first.

I didn't get where I am today by explaining my links...:hihi:

Don't worry he is just trying to stretch things out by being deliberately obtuse. He and the rest of his ilk, people who consider themselves better than others (tories), are being put under a lot of pressure by all media sources and public opinion, who have eventually found out that the austerity measures are not working and most people are suffering for no good reason. They are like a caged rat being poked with a stick.

I was lucky enough to do a degree when it was free. I think they even paid me 40 quid a week for the effort...times have changed...:D

I too was salaried whilst doing my degree. It was quite common before thatcher wrecked education for all but the wealthy. This is what led us to our present dior situation.

I too was salaried whilst doing my degree. It was quite common before thatcher wrecked education for all but the wealthy. This is what led us to our present dior situation.

Considering that when Thatcher was in power you could get full grants and fees paid, and for several years afterwards, your conclusion is unsubstantiable.

The rot came when someone decided to do away with grants, charge fees and unrealistincally expect half the population leaving school to go to Uni and be capable of passing a degree course. That's when the real disaster started. If you want to pin something on Conservatives at least go for what they actually did and that would be Major granting the poly's University status - there was nothing wrong with the vocational basis of the poly's and doing so robbed us of a lot of the practical and skilled trades that used to go through those insititutions.

I don't think Higher Education is for the wealthy. Even now anyone can go, if they are prepared to accept debt. A better question would be, "Is it worth going to university with the accrual of debt you are likely to achieve if you have to borrow?" Especially since going to university does not gaurantee a decent salary.

Archived