How unfair is this government to those who want to work.

I have my GCSE`S and a varied amount of work experience, in offices, shops, waiteressing, factory work, but I don`t have a GCSE in Maths which I don`t think helps and I have had alot of jobs also I don`t know if this has anything to do with it.

Yes it will. I'm amazed the job centre etc hasn't mentioned it. Have to tried to do it again ?

So that's a good reason not to try? I was just pointing out,contrary to what a lot of people on here say,that there are lots of jobs out there..

i dint say thats not a reason to try, but some on here say theres thousands of jobs and then slag people off for being unemployed, like its a given that cos theres jobs you shouldnt be unemployed.

i dint say thats not a reason to try, but some on here say theres thousands of jobs and then slag people off for being unemployed, like its a given that cos theres jobs you shouldnt be unemployed.

Is that aimed at me? I've not slagged anyone off for being unemployed when they want to work and are trying to find it...

Yes it will. I'm amazed the job centre etc hasn't mentioned it. Have to tried to do it again ?

They did not say anything to me when I signed on about Maths courses. I went to my local adult education centre and signed up for a free course because it is a life skill maths & English are free. I passed Entry Level 3 but failed 2 & 1, it has held me back all my life and was the reason I did not finish my College course because I had to take Key Skills Maths and struggled to do the work given I have always never grasped maths, and if I did not have to take maths the first time round I might be doing the job I wanted to do in the first place.

I have a place on a course in september to do the same course that I did from school, but it is a BTEC and there i no maths requirement which I am happy about.

It even held me back in my first job, I was working as a Junior in an office and they wanted me to re take Maths as it was a requirement that you had Maths at grade C. They offered me the job despite me not having this, and then said to me that I would to re take it.

I thought to myself, if I failed and could not get the required grades there could never be progression as to be a legal clerk, which was the next job up from the job I was doing, they would have wanted you to have a grade C in Maths it is a vicious circle and I feel like you cannot win.

It sounds as though you might be building up a psychological barrier to getting a maths qualification.

A fear of failure, frustration and a negative attitude can swamp your chances just as much as any actual inability to pass. Talk to your tutor about this. A bit of NLP wouldn't go amiss. You CAN do it.

It even held me back in my first job, I was working as a Junior in an office and they wanted me to re take Maths as it was a requirement that you had Maths at grade C. They offered me the job despite me not having this, and then said to me that I would to re take it.

I thought to myself, if I failed and could not get the required grades there could never be progression as to be a legal clerk, which was the next job up from the job I was doing, they would have wanted you to have a grade C in Maths it is a vicious circle and I feel like you cannot win.

Lots of jobs require qualifications. I started work in the 60s in clerical roles, and went to night school to do accounting and other O Levels (GCSEs). However, due to being a hard worker and doing a decent job, I've had a couple of long term employments where I've been promoted without having the qualifications that an outsider might have needed.

When I got made redundant at 49, I took a basic clerical job in a different type of organisation, and for the second time worked my way up to a minor management role. When I retired at 60, I was the only person at my level in my department, without a degree. I don't even have A levels. I've had a few different part time jobs since then, but only do voluntary work now out of choice.

Getting a foot in the door then proving you can do the job are the the important things. If you can't drive, don't apply for jobs that insist you must. Look at jobs that you can do, and perhaps join a job club where you'll get help with application forms and CVs.

For instance, this organisation could possibly help: http://www.sheffieldwellbeing.org.uk/content/case-study-%E2%80%93-soar-one-stop-shop

It sounds as though you might be building up a psychological barrier to getting a maths qualification.

A fear of failure, frustration and a negative attitude can swamp your chances just as much as any actual inability to pass. Talk to your tutor about this. A bit of NLP wouldn't go amiss. You CAN do it.

I did try and wanted so badly to pass because I wanted to do teaching and because I failed level 2 & 1, I could have had my place at College but it would have taken me longer to qualify. I would have had to carry on with my Maths at Night School and do another Maths course at College alongside English and the the Access course and I did not think I could cope doing all that as I know my personal capabilities and I knew I would not be able to cope doing all that. I am going back in Sept to College but it is not important that you have Maths which is better for me, the Tutor at Night School did try and help me as much as possible but I think for me Maths will always be a academic barrier that I cannot break down no matter how hard I try.

I did try and wanted so badly to pass because I wanted to do teaching and because I failed level 2 & 1, I could have had my place at College but it would have taken me longer to qualify. I would have had to carry on with my Maths at Night School and do another Maths course at College alongside English and the the Access course and I did not think I could cope doing all that as I know my personal capabilities and I knew I would not be able to cope doing all that. I am going back in Sept to College but it is not important that you have Maths which is better for me, the Tutor at Night School did try and help me as much as possible but I think for me Maths will always be a academic barrier that I cannot break down no matter how hard I try.

Interesting. I wonder what it is that you find hard about it? I suspect it has not been taught well in the past.

When I was at school I swapped from higher maths which was all algebra, triganometry, and geometry, which I hated and couldn't see a purpose for, to commercial maths which was much more arithmetically based, and because I could see a use for it, and how it worked, I sailed through it. I still had to do a bit of algebra and geometry but not nearly as much.

I got an O level, and will be eternally grateful to the teacher who knew there was an alternative. I'm not up to date with GCSE maths, but maybe there is an equivelent qualification which you would be better suited to.

Archived