How unfair is this government to those who want to work.

I though there were loads of freshly minted graduates looking for jobs ? Is it really only 1%. And if it is as simple as needing skills - get skills !!!!!!

yes but getting skills cost money, and that's something that most people don't have at the minute.

btw- it's not 99% thats just a basic example.

yes but getting skills cost money, and that's something that most people don't have at the minute.

btw- it's not 99% thats just a basic example.

I don't know how many times I have to type this, 20 apparently, if you are unemployed, YOU DON'T PAY FOR COURSES UP TO LEVEL 3.

Go to a college (a proper one, Sheffield, Chesterfield etc not these firms doing 3 day plastering courses) and theyll tell you.

I don't know how many times I have to type this, 20 apparently, if you are unemployed, YOU DON'T PAY FOR COURSES UP TO LEVEL 3.

Go to a college (a proper one, Sheffield, Chesterfield etc not these firms doing 3 day plastering courses) and theyll tell you.

You don't get real skills in a college though, you get through experience, a college or university just gives you the basis to build on.

if you meet the age requirement, which i believe is around 24 with college's, so what do people 24+ do if they cant go to college ?

if you meet the age requirement, which i believe is around 24 with college's, so what do people 24+ do if they cant go to college ?

NEver looked in Sheffield but can't imagine it's too different to Leeds.

http://www.leedscitycollege.ac.uk/courses/index.php/1151/maths-higher-gcse-edexcel-level-2/

There you go - full fees remission as it's a basic literacy/numeracy course. Pony up and do it - no fuss, regardless of age

http://www.leedscitycollege.ac.uk/index.php/support/money-matters-fe

For FE courses, the charges are...

Fees (tuition, exam and registration) are also remitted (free) for adults over 19 who are:

In receipt of Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA) or Employment Support Allowance in the work related activity group (ESA WRAG)

Unemployed and in receipt of Income Support, Incapacity Benefit, ESA (Support Group) or ESA (Assessment Phase) can also have their fees remitted if they are taking a course with an aim to get back into work (you will be asked to sign a self declaration form)

Not tricky to get onto a course at all, FREE of charge if you can show it's retraining for work.

I hope this clears up the incessant whiny crud (not from you Stingray) that it costs money to retrain. It doesn't. It's paid for by Govt to get people to become employable again. There really is no economic excuse at all.

You don't get real skills in a college though, you get through experience, a college or university just gives you the basis to build on.

In certain courses what you learn at college is more important than others. Im going along the thinking alot of unemployed people don't have skills. It would be interesting to find out what percentage are unskilled and what percentage are either unlucky or are waiting for the right job or have the wrong skills.

Of course you get real skills at college. I was beginning to think that you may have some good opinions cyclone, but to say such a thing is absurd. There are many jobs that insist on certified qualifications before any practical experience is commenced and to suggest otherwise is just not true. Formal qualifications are a must in todays labour market. Im sure you have formal qualifications for your line of work, which suggests that the guy who has never attended a college or uni, would probably have zero chance of getting your job when you retire.

Of course you get real skills at college. I was beginning to think that you may have some good opinions cyclone, but to say such a thing is absurd. There are many jobs that insist on certified qualifications before any practical experience is commenced and to suggest otherwise is just not true. Formal qualifications are a must in todays labour market. Im sure you have formal qualifications for your line of work, which suggests that the guy who has never attended a college or uni, would probably have zero chance of getting your job when you retire.

You're right, you need the formal qualification before you can even start in a lot of industries, but the qualification on it's own won't be sufficient to get the majority of jobs that are being advertised.

My degree is of no relevance whatsoever to the work I do, despite it being a Computer Science degree and me working in the IT industry.

The only thing that actually matters for the roles I look at are my experience with the technologies they are using.

Archived