How unfair is this government to those who want to work.

Is working at Boundray Mills, for the NMW at best, going to pay the rent/mortgage?

The same way everyone else who receives minimum wage pays their rent and mortgages.

How do you think everyone else lives??

Those who earn too little get a top up of housing benefit and/or tax credits. Those who earn above a certain amount just manage their money properly.

Its what us working people have been doing for years.

Lets do the maths shall we. NMW for most of the working population is just under £900.00 a month for a full time worker after tax.

Those people would most likely also be allowed to apply for tax credits and/or council tax beneift or housing benefit to increase this amount.

Then you multiply that for everyone working in the household as often there is more than just the one.

Hardly proverty line is it :loopy::loopy::loopy:

The Jobcentre and other partner organisations provide a range of training courses and work placements for people with no fee.

Obviously if you are doing something they have arranged or through one of their partners they are not going to make you do a work placement at the same time are they!!

Who is being made homeless here. We are talking about JSA.

Do people not get housing benefit, council tax benefit. Do we not have a range of homeless services for people with treat of eviction. Do we not spend thousand on legal aid providing solicitors or community services to challenge eviction notices.

you really do make yourself sound stupid. Nobody is losing their house unless they are living beyond the means or refusing help.

So I have a masters degree in business and IT, am I really going to benefit by doing some crummy course learning how to use a EPOS that, if I got a job in a shop, would see me working and getting in debt just to buy the essentials?

The new changes to council tenancies and changes to housing benefit are going to course a large increase in homelessness. Legal aid is being cut significantly and to be quite honest, they're not the most autominous people in the world anyway.

Doing what, how is he going to afford the fees? Besides, he won't have time to study if he's made to work at Poundland or ends up homeless by the new benefit rules.

Vocational courses are free up to, if memory serves, nvq 3 (or equivalent). Check for gods sake, I'm not the careers service !

So I have a masters degree in business and IT, am I really going to benefit by doing some crummy course learning how to use a EPOS that, if I got a job in a shop, would see me working and getting in debt just to buy the essentials?

If you could not find any work in that field yes it would help you. Because by doing your training in use of an EPOS you would have a better chance of getting a retail job and becoming employed.

You would then actually earn some proper income rather than sponging off society and if you use your brain you would manage your money accordingly so not to get into debt.

Just because you have a degree does not give you a right to sit there soaking up taxpayers money until you find a job YOU want to do.

Life does not work like that.

The new changes to council tenancies and changes to housing benefit are going to course a large increase in homelessness. Legal aid is being cut significantly and to be quite honest, they're not the most autominous people in the world anyway.

No it wont. It will kick out those who dont deserve to be in taxpayer subsidised accommodation and might encourage some of the serial claimants to get a job.

As for the legal aid cuts they are not going to be affecting the areas of law that deal with immediate threat of homelessness and homeless organisations will continue as they are not funded by legal aid. What makes you think that housing solicitors are not autominous they hate the local authorities just as much as you. Believe me, they would not do that undervalued and underpaid area of work if they did not have an interest in helping the people concerned

I wouldn't be in your position though that's the point.

I would do, everything and anything to get employment again. For example if you dont have any recent experience get some. Do some voluntary work somewhere, look around to see if there are any placements you could do, contact local organisaitons to see if there is training courses you could do to improve your skills.

i did all that, you know what? it made jack

training schemes, voluntary work all meant jack, i still had no actual work experience so couldnt get a job, even when i joined an agency they said theyd struggle to get me a job i never heard from them again.

after 18 years i managed to get a job purely through local people i knew giving me a chance, then the owner of the current factory again liking my it qualifications but not having a position for me, he gave me a chance and created a position (8 and a half years ive been there now, worked my way up to substitute supervisor)

Good for you.

OK - so the training and voluntary did not work case however it does for plenty of others

Anyway you have still proved the point I was trying to make.

You did not just sit there. You did not give up. You went around and kept contacting people to get you a job. Eventually you did it and 8 1/2 years are still there and have a promotion from it.

You are a perfect example of everything I have been trying to get across about putting the effort in.

how many years I have put into the system is none of your business and completely irrelevant. Do you think just because there is a suggestion you might have put "more into the system" that means you can withdraw from it year in year out. It doesn't work like that.

How much an individual has put into the system determines how much they have a right to moan so it is relevant. Sorry it hit a raw nerve with you though.

Usually big stores like tesco etc use local job centres and community services to advertise the entry grade vacancies to the local area relevant to the store. Eg: the store on the Wicker publicised their mass recruitment in conjunction with Sorby House and the local community centres in an effort to try and get local people in the area employed. That is not an uncommon practice across the board.

You might notice Boundray Mills which is anticipating approx 300 vacancies utilised RIDO and The Source at Meadowhall to advertise their entry level staff vacancies.

And just how many of these big stores open up each year in Sheffield? Tesco had over 300 applications for each job advertised and Morrisons had even more. That obviously means that 299 people are still unemployed who applied for the jobs, which again shows that there are not many vacancies available.

Again, if your thorough with your jobseeking you will find these things out.

That just the problem, I have been thorough and looked and found out that its totally different to what you make out. Maybe its you that needs to look.

Checked out those 2 links yet?

PS The Jobcentres do not provide training courses as most have been cut and they have no funding for them. Most of their clients are now passed on to private organisation who also don't provide much and are an extra drain on the benefits budget. As for placements being free they are not. Those private partners get funding for them, they also get paid for every application and CV those unemployed make. That's why they stipulate that you must apply for at least 3 jobs per week regardless of whether you are able to do them. Why the heck do you think A4E and others have gotten so rich?

The greatest burden is those very private partners that are meant to help the unemployed. Remploy for instance had grants of around £25,000 for every person they took on and are now having problems because that funding has now ceased.

No it wont. It will kick out those who dont deserve to be in taxpayer subsidised accommodation and might encourage some of the serial claimants to get a job.

You really dont understand how it works do you?

The council are obliged by law to re-house anyone who gets "kicked out" in temporary accommodation such as B&B which is far more costly that keeping them in council accommodation. Being unemployed I don't personally mind as its not me that will have to pay that extra but you, the taxpayer.

Archived