How unfair is this government to those who want to work.

The Government do not care, its all about statistics and how to look good to the electorate, a man/woman wanting to provide does not enter the equation.

But the stats and evidence of what the government is doing is not very good. Osborne forecasted that Britain's economy would grow by 2.3% in 2011 but it only grew by 0.7%. Due to the lack of economic growth, the government is having to borrow £46bn more than planned. Unemployment is at a 18 year high and set to increase. Cutting public sector jobs means higher unemployment and fewer people in work paying taxes and freezing public sector pay and higher unemployment means less disposable income to be spent in the private sector, with a knock-on effect on private sector jobs. Cutting business taxes means less revenue to close the deficit and pay off our debt.

People at the bottom of the pile are constantly being bombarded by stories of the rich and powerful cheating and extorting massive sums of money. It has been this way ever since the condems came to power by default.

Under circumstances like these I can fully understand why people at the bottom cheat the system as they are merely copying the antics of the rich. They cheat the system to obtain basic needs whereas the rich obtain money fraudulently merely to increase their already masive bank balances and power.

I know which group is the worst!

People at the bottom of the pile are constantly being bombarded by stories of the rich and powerful cheating and extorting massive sums of money. It has been this way ever since the condems came to power by default.

Under circumstances like these I can fully understand why people at the bottom cheat the system as they are merely copying the antics of the rich. They cheat the system to obtain basic needs whereas the rich obtain money fraudulently merely to increase their already masive bank balances and power.

I know which group is the worst!

The rich and powerful didn't suddenly start behaving differently when the current government came into power. There has always been a minority who have enormous wealth. However, I can remember when there were far more people who had much less than the majority of us have today.

Instead of just criticising the status quo, what system of government do people think we should have?

The rich and powerful didn't suddenly start behaving differently when the current government came into power. There has always been a minority who have enormous wealth. However, I can remember when there were far more people who had much less than the majority of us have today.

Instead of just criticising the status quo, what system of government do people think we should have?

No they didn't, but the average Joe Bloggs has suddenly began to act differently thanks to sensationalist media demonisation of certain elements of society, which makes it much easier for the government to execute its plans.

.. we are moving towards a future where there will be far fewer jobs thanks to technology and automation. ...

The Government (either party) are not going to admit this, so we are subject to yet another media propaganda campaign that sets out to vilefy the unemployed and put the blame on them for their predicament, labling them 'scroungers' when most of them clearly are not...

Not going to admit it? - The government have been saying that for the past 50 years or so!

"The advent of new technology and automation will mean fewer unskilled and low skilled manual labour jobs."

I was told that when I was a child.

The government increased the school leaving age so that children would have more chance of getting an education which would enable them to get jobs in the new (now long-established) high-technology automated society

And 50% of school leavers fail to obtain the basic minimum qualifications. - 5 GCSEs including English Language and Mathematics at Grade C or above.

Many of their grandparents and great grandparents weren't given the chance - they had to leave school in their early teens and go into low-paid labouring jobs.

(Most of) the low-paid labouring jobs have gone. The number of people looking for them is rising.

There's no rule which says migration is a one-way street. The UK has plenty of immigrants who come looking for better-paid, high-skilled jobs.

Perhaps eventually there will be an efflux of people travelling in the other direction looking for low-skilled jobs?

Cameron is exhorting people post Olympics to keep the feel good factor going and continue to volunteer in the voluntry sector.

I have to ask, if you're not run off your feet because you're terrified of losing your job, then you're unemployed, and the way this government is vilifying the jobless, and harrassing those too ill to work, it certainly wouldn't make me want to volunteer.

If there's work to be done, then I would want a wage at the end of it. And before somebody says that volunteering could lead to a job - it could happen, in a small minority of cases, but voluntry organisations are being swamped with people all hoping for a job at the end of it which simply isn't there.

Not going to admit it? - The government have been saying that for the past 50 years or so!

"The advent of new technology and automation will mean fewer unskilled and low skilled manual labour jobs."

I was told that when I was a child.

The government increased the school leaving age so that children would have more chance of getting an education which would enable them to get jobs in the new (now long-established) high-technology automated society

And 50% of school leavers fail to obtain the basic minimum qualifications. - 5 GCSEs including English Language and Mathematics at Grade C or above.

Many of their grandparents and great grandparents weren't given the chance - they had to leave school in their early teens and go into low-paid labouring jobs.

(Most of) the low-paid labouring jobs have gone. The number of people looking for them is rising.

There's no rule which says migration is a one-way street. The UK has plenty of immigrants who come looking for better-paid, high-skilled jobs.

Perhaps eventually there will be an efflux of people travelling in the other direction looking for low-skilled jobs?

New technology and automation is also affecting that area too, which means less jobs in that area. There are not enough of them to take up the slack from manufacturing jobs in terms of manpower.

As for the 5 GCSEs at grade 'C' or above, that is equivelent to 5 'O' levels which could only be taken at grammer schools to which only 20% of the population attended following the 11+ exam. The rest went to Secondary Moderns and did vocational and technical qualifications.

Suddenly everyone is expected to get 5 'O' levels (or the equivelents) whether they are academic or not, so is it so surprising that 50% do not?

Either way, there will still not be enough jobs to go round.

When we were told in the 70s that there would be more leisure time because of automation, (remember that? 'Take qualifications in leisure management'?) we didn't realise that they meant half the population would be worked off their feet, while the other half were unemployed and desperate for a job.

As for the 5 GCSEs at grade 'C' or above, that is equivelent to 5 'O' levels which could only be taken at grammer schools to which only 20% of the population attended following the 11+ exam. The rest went to Secondary Moderns and did vocational and technical qualifications.

I'm not sure what you mean by this...I didn't go to a grammar school but took O levels...

There are so many jobs advertised on line, are they all scams? Sheffield & Rotherham councils advertise jobs, also the NHS, and there are lots of others on various websites at all sorts of levels.

Aren't there organisations that can help with application forms, or advise people where to get experience in a role they wish to apply for?

As an example, if I wanted to become a teaching assistant (and there seem to be vacancies for those) I'd volunteer to go into school and help. Why not?

I accept its hard being out of work, I've been made redundant twice, and my OH had quite a long period after illness before he could find a job.

Archived