Sold a car in working order but 2 days later..

i wouldnt be pleased at all, but it was fine when it left, for all i know it could of been driven at 6000rpm for 30+miles once it left my drive i didnt know how it was driven

Yes but you don't know. When they drove off did it sound like the engine was running at 6000rpm? It's very rare a person would drive a car correctly only to wait until you were out of sight to drive it like Mr Magoo.

Ask them for a dealership report on damage and likely cause of damage.

the car was always sold with honesty, no corners cut all work done at main dealers

Tell them that the car is their responsibility now, and if they think that you've not acted responsibly then they can make a claim. It's highly likely they won't bother, and if you can show that you acted responsibly then any chance of anything being found in the buyers' favour is minute.

I'd like to add - I'm no legal expert. If someone knows more than me then I'll happily be proven incorrect.

i know this sounds blunt but the car was inspected twice, was serviced by main dealer 2k ago and even they commented on how good its condition was for age, no warranty was offered nor asked for, i asked for the legallitys of this, once they was out of my sight i dont know how it was driven, the car left my drive in A1 mechanical condition, i need to know where i stand legally not morally, i do feel bad for them, but once its left my hands its beyond my control and defeats me selling it, it had a genuine reason for sale and it wasnt because it was faulty ive bought my self a brand new car and cant afford to run 3 cars

I've heard this story before, possibly on this forum. Car is sold to gypsies and then brought back two days later with a ruined / swapped engine.

yeah ive heard of similar things, luckily it had a one off engine as far as looks was concerned so ill notice a different lump straight away

This is American, but the same principle stands in our law.

Caveat Emptor for Buying and Selling a Used Car

This Story Demonstrates How Both Sides Need To Be Protected

Caveat emptor, which is Latin for buyer beware, is applicable for both the buyer and seller of a used car as demonstrated by a story shared with me by a reader. The seller needs to be aware, too, that once a legitimate sale is done - it's finished. There is no need to accept responsibility once a vehicle changes hands.

Archived