Student loans and Olympic Athletes

So do graduates....yet they still have to repay their loans..

Which is a system ripe for reform. It's only that way because Labor decided that half of the country needed to go to Uni (for reasons which escape me) and then got into a pickle about how to pay it (which was hardly surprising)

Get the university population back to a sensible level, get some decent technical schooling going instead so we can have people skilled at building things too and fund it properly so the students don't have to do it.

That does mean that pointless degress in underwater basketweaving and media appreciation will get the boot but I doubt they will be missed.

Depends - most lawyers I know are in the £20k-£30k bracket due to Sheffield not being that well paid, although it's not bad. Despite what Hallam FM tells people, there's not huge numbers of lawyers wandering around on 500k a year. Perhaps a couple at the very largest firms, but that's about it.

I see your point entirely - I kind of look at in the opposite way, possibly being an ex student. I don't think loans should be paid back, it should be grant based, but those grants should be conditional on completion and results. You shouldn't prevent intelligent people with a desire to go to uni from going on financial grounds, which is what is happening now. It should be entirely on ability. If you're able, you should be supported as you will benefit the country in theory when you're earning a higher salary.

Not going to happen of course as the country has bugger all money as it is!

I totally agree with you...my two kids have just graduated and obviously will have to reapy their loans..It just made me think a bit when I realised the amounts that people like Jess and Mo can make,on the back of public funding just like students but not have to repay anything other than the usual income tax etc..I thought it might be worth a discussion..

I'm not sure you get a student loan to cover the cost of your course, I thought you got it to try and cover the cost of living?

There are two loans,or there were when my kids went..one for the course and one to support you..you could opt to take one or both or neither...

No,a grant never has to be repaid..a loan does..

theres your problem. It doesn't have to be repaid. If you earn below the threshold (£22k or something like that) you will never pay it. It is only paid for during times you are earning above that. Its a graduate tax really.

theres your problem. It doesn't have to be repaid. If you earn below the threshold (£22k or something like that) you will never pay it. It is only paid for during times you are earning above that. Its a graduate tax really.

For earlier graduates it's about 15k I think...only a couple of grand a year over the minimum wage...so most will pay it....as well as the standard tax..

For earlier graduates it's about 15k I think...only a couple of grand a year over the minimum wage...so most will pay it....as well as the standard tax..

That was my generation, now with the higher fees the threshold went up and the payments went down. At the level I pay I don't notice it. It's a small amount paid out before your wages are taxed. Now the payments are even lower.

That was my generation, now with the higher fees the threshold went up and the payments went down. At the level I pay I don't notice it. It's a small amount paid out before your wages are taxed. Now the payments are even lower.

But still extra payments...the point wasn't the amount of repayment but the fact that one set of publicly funded "learners" has to pay some back over and above "ordinary" taxes but others don't..

Archived