Student loans and Olympic Athletes

Not so as already pointed out and I know of former students who are paying their loan and the they amount they pay, or can't afford to pay, isn't even covering the interest. So they are struggling to pay something but their debt keeps going up.

you don't know anyone thats struggling to pay! The way the loan is set up means you will never struggle to pay it. It is charged as a very small percentage of your wages that are taken before tax. If you lose your job or get a lower paid job payments stop or decrease. It doesn't matter if you never manage to pay it off because it will be written off.

You may know people that have a student loan and are struggling to pay their mortgage etc but they are not struggling to pay their student loans.

If you think people should not pay for their education that is a separate issue. Being disingenuous about student loans doesn't help that argument. Everyone can afford it because it is a graduate tax. It was idiocy not to call it that in my opinion-a PR disaster!

you don't know anyone thats struggling to pay!

<snip>

You may know people that have a student loan and are struggling to pay their mortgage etc but they are not struggling to pay their student loans.

Don't assume anything.

I certainly struggled to pay my loans post graduation.

Don't assume anything.

I certainly struggled to pay my loans post graduation.

you are talking about a bank loan then. Your student loan will have come out before your wages as another tax. Its like saying you struggled to pay your national insurance contributions.

you are talking about a bank loan then. Your student loan will have come out before your wages as another tax. Its like saying you struggled to pay your national insurance contributions.

I fully understand my own loan commitments.

My loan payment were taken after tax, I wasn't on the newer system.

I fully understand my own loan commitments.

My loan payment were taken after tax, I wasn't on the newer system.

ah thats where the confusion arose. We were talking about the new system and the slightly older system. I have not heard of your system.

So if you lose your job do you still have to pay?

What percentage of your wages?

Does it still come straight out of your wages?

Archived