Beware poisons through your letter box

I'm fuming

I have a toddler, and a dog

Sainsbury's and Gaviscon have come up with the amazing idea of posting a taste tester out to customers. This does not contain the active ingredients of the Gaviscon medicine, but it contains Aspartame (which some children have an adverse reaction to) and xylitol, which the majority of people don't know is highly poisonous to dogs, and possibly ferrets too

click for more info

It has been known for quite some time that there is a link between xylitol ingestion and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) in dogs. Now, with the prevalence of this sweeter in human foods, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has noted a connection between xylitol consumption and acute toxicity in dogs. Xylitol has also been suspected of causing toxicity in ferrets.

Signs of toxicity can be seen as quickly as 30 minutes after xylitol ingestion in dogs. The xylitol causes a rapid release of the hormone insulin, causing a sudden decrease in blood glucose. This in turn may cause the following symptoms:

Vomiting

Weakness

Ataxia (uncoordinated movements)

okay brainbox, tell me how that is supposed to be achieved :rolleyes:

Toddler - It's called discipling your child, teaching them not to do things

Dog - Training.

All in all it's called taking responsibility for those in YOUR care rather than expecting to be molly-coddled by everyone else.

Toddler - It's called discipling your child, teaching them not to do things

Dog - Training.

All in all it's called taking responsibility for those in YOUR care rather than expecting to be molly-coddled by everyone else.

And how do you teach a child not to eat sweets readily accessible in its own home?

My dog doesn't eat the post, but many others do, and training takes time

Sainsbury's have already said they wouldn't send out samples of bleach in this fashion (for obvious reasons)

How many capsules were there and what were the amounts of aspartame and xylitol contained within each one?

jb

One capsule, quantities not stated (so I couldn't even determine whether the amount contained was below the safe level)

So they are posting tester meds in the letterbox without a full list of what it is? is this legal?

It clearly states that the medicine element of this thing has been omitted, that it's only a taste sample with no active ingredients, but what it does contain is the dog poison, xylitol, and the ingredient a number of children have an adverse reaction to, aspartame

Archived