Beware poisons through your letter box

It reminds me of the "chocolate for dogs" or "white bread for ducks" stuff. For years we've been giving chocolate to our dogs and bread to ducks without any ill effects.

But now all of a sudden you're worse than Hitler if you attempt to do the above.

I don't know about ducks, but chocolate is definitly fatal to dogs in sufficient quantity as mine died from a surfeit of chocolate. Whilst milk chocolate is probably safe (although not recommended) in small volumes, dark or bakers chocolate does kill and you don't need very much either for it to have an effect. It's even more toxic to cats but few cats will eat chocolate anyway.

One capsule, quantities not stated (so I couldn't even determine whether the amount contained was below the safe level)

Who actually tastes a medicinal capsule? I swallow them whole! What a silly idea to be sending 'taster capsules' in a promotion! :loopy:

ASPARTAME IS ALSO CONTAINED WITHIN DIET COKE.

XYLITOL IS CONTAINED WITHIN CHEWING GUM.

Do you drink coke? do your dogs go walking on pavements?

Yes? then you really have nothing to worry about from a Gaviscon tester.

No, I don't drink Coke, and my dog wears a half check to assist in restraining him from collecting things like chewing gum on our walks

It's cocoa solids that are poisonous to dogs, but most chocolate doesn't contain enough of this to cause any actual harm, whereas cocoa husks spread on the garden as a mulch have been known to result in an urgent trip to the vets

Did anybody reading this thread even know that xylitol is poisonous to dogs?

No, I don't drink Coke, and my dog wears a half check to assist in restraining him from collecting things like chewing gum on our walks

It's cocoa solids that are poisonous to dogs, but most chocolate doesn't contain enough of this to cause any actual harm, whereas cocoa husks spread on the garden as a mulch have been known to result in an urgent trip to the vets

I doubt it, but then I don't think many people actually care.

Just buy a cage for the letterbox and chillax.

Does anyone know if there's enough of it within the free sample to even be dangerous at all to dogs?

If you really can't prevent your kids and pets from eating things that are pushed through the letterbox, maybe you should review your responsibilities as a parent and pet owner.

As for the "deadly" ingredient's effect on dogs, have you done any research on this?

I've only had a quick look and these aren't confirmed figures but if the dosages become dangerous to dogs at 100mg per kilogram of body weight, then for an average/medium sized dog (around 15kg) it would have to consume 1500mg of xylitol for it to begin to pose any threat.

How much can be found in the free sample? I don't know, but the active ingredients are 250mg sodium alginate, 133.5mg sodium bicarbonate 80mg calcium carbonate, with xylitol listed without dosage amount shown.

Usually in a list of ingredients, the lower down the list, the lesser the volume of the ingredient. If the xylitol is less than the calcium carbonate (80mg) then only a dog the size of my fist would begin to be at risk.

thank you for that info. The sample has no measures at all on it, but xylitol is the first ingredient listed, so presumably is the main constituent. With the active ingredients missing, I've no idea whether there is therefore a greater quantity of the 'inactive' ingredients

thank you for that info. The sample has no measures at all on it, but xylitol is the first ingredient listed, so presumably is the main constituent. With the active ingredients missing, I've no idea whether there is therefore a greater quantity of the 'inactive' ingredients

How much does the sample weigh (minus packaging) in total?

Archived