Recharging a car battery

The car battery had gone flat after the car was not running for close to a month. I managed to jump start it and then gave it a 15 minute run, which means its now working. But the battery is (supposedly) still not charged to the level that it should normally be.

What is the best way to get the battery fully charged? Are there any shops/garages that do this? If so, how long does that take and how much would it cost?

Thanks in advance :)

You ideally want a decent charger. You can get automatic ones from Halfords for less than £20 which is what a garage would probably charge you (no pun intended) to top it off. Probably take a good 24 hours to fully charge it from near flat.

Or if it will start again take it for a drive. An hour or so driving should get it back toa reasonable level of charge although to get it fully charged will take a lot longer.

That's a rather broad and inaccurate brush no?

A battery left discharged may end up with reduced capacity, but going flat over a month or so isn't going to significantly hurt it and it should recharge and keep the charge, perhaps with a 5% loss in total capacity depending on the depth and time of maximum discharge.

That's a rather broad and inaccurate brush no?

A battery left discharged may end up with reduced capacity, but going flat over a month or so isn't going to significantly hurt it and it should recharge and keep the charge, perhaps with a 5% loss in total capacity depending on the depth and time of maximum discharge.

We will found out after he waste money on a battery charger then buy a new battery

We will found out after he waste money on a battery charger then buy a new battery

A battery charger is not a waste of money, its a good investment, you're bound to need it again some day. I have acquired one, and a booster pack that I keep in my car. My car battery used to run out quite a bit, its not as bad now, but I have the charger just in case.

Is that based on your funny tummy feelings or proper research.

Before you go jumping in I've got an awful lot of experience researching the failure modes of electrochemical cells including more forms of lead-acid accumulators than most people think exist.

Archived