History of whirlow..needing help!

niknaknat

I am researching my family tree and have discovered that I come from a long line of farmers and publicans that all seem to hail from the whirlow area ( mainly whirlow lane).

My great, great, great grandfather was George coates ( of coates farm) born in Dore in 1830 and the farm is mentioned in the 1881 census as being 39 acres and employing 1 man and 1 boy. He was married to a lady named mary coates ( nee Revill) and her father ( john Revill) was the publican of the bridge inn at whirlow which I now know was demolished in 1938.

Amazingly I came across an auction catalogue from last year which listed some of my ancestors belongings from the early 19th century with the farms name on them so I think they must have been there a long time but cannot seem to find much information on their time there.

If anyone can shed any light on this or have any information on how I could find out more I would be very grateful

• 1 month later...

Seems that we share some ancestors. George Coates, b1830, was the son of John Coates and Ann Wall. John and Ann are my ancestors too, through their other son John Coates (Jnr). John Coates (Snr) was the son of George Coats, b 1761-ish, and commemorated on a large grave stone resting against the wall of Dore church. Unfortunately I haven't been able to trace George's origins. He appears on the 1841 census for Dore, but apart from his age, all that tells us is that he wasn't born in Derbyshire. Sorry I don't have much information on Whirlow, which is what you asked about, but are you interested in your Dore ancestors - or do you have any information on them of your own?

Archived