Stone baked pizza restaurant in Sheffield?

greenfly125

Last weekend I bought a pizza that was baked in a proper stone pizza oven while at the Bakewell Music Festival. It was yummy! Does anyone know any traditional Italian restaurants in Sheffield that cook their pizzas like this, preferably in front of customers? No chains either. Thanks!

Last weekend I bought a pizza that was baked in a proper stone pizza oven while at the Bakewell Music Festival. It was yummy! Does anyone know any traditional Italian restaurants in Sheffield that cook their pizzas like this, preferably in front of customers? No chains either. Thanks!

I dont know any restaurants that prepare pizzas in front of customers in chains but it's an interesting idea and I dare say it could catch on. :cool:

The "stone-baking" bit is not so important as the actual quality of the pizza dough and ingredients itself. Too many of the high street restaurants use processed, pre-prepared dough that they just need to defrost or roll-out to use.

A good pizza restaurant will make the pizza dough fresh - it's quite entertaining to watch them as well as they spin the dough up in the air and stretch it and catch it and slam it down to create a beautifully light thin base which really make all the difference. You won't see this in Domino's pizza I can tell you.

The pizza should be cooked quickly at very high temperature. Both wood-fired and stone ovens are good for this. Which is where the "stone-baked" thing comes in.

You can buy a stone plate for use at home when cooking pizza. I usually place this in the oven on a very high temperature, about 220c, for 10 mins so that it gets really very hot before putting a pizza on top of it. The intense heat from the stone cooks the pizza in no time and can improve even the most basic of supermarket pizzas.

I can't think of any restaurant in Sheffield where you can watch them making fresh dough and preparing pizza in this way. Would love to know if there is?

Archived