Stone baked pizza restaurant in Sheffield?

greenfly125

Last weekend I bought a pizza that was baked in a proper stone pizza oven while at the Bakewell Music Festival. It was yummy! Does anyone know any traditional Italian restaurants in Sheffield that cook their pizzas like this, preferably in front of customers? No chains either. Thanks!

I had the same thing in Endcliffe Park at the 'Folk Forest' in this year's Tramlines Festival. There's every chance it was the same stall, thgis one, "The Hot Rocks Pizza"

http://hotrockspizza.co.uk/Welcome.html

The pizza was delicious and every bit as good as any I've had in Italy.

The "stone-baking" bit is not so important as the actual quality of the pizza dough and ingredients itself. Too many of the high street restaurants use processed, pre-prepared dough that they just need to defrost or roll-out to use.

How the pizza is cooked is JUST as important as the ingredients used to make it

Stone oven is, hands down, the best! I went to a festival in May, and they had people make pizza from scratch in front of you £3 a slice, but well, well worth it

Bloo 8/Hallamshire Hotel is the only place I know in city centre that uses a fire oven Pizza Express uses a modern pizza oven, the type you'd find in a proper NYC pizzeria Anything that requires the dough to be carried by conveyer belt (think most high street pizza places) shouldnt really call itself pizza

(PS I apologies for the lack of full stops, my laptops full stop key is currently broken :()

Proper pizza is great food, but I don't normally touch the stuff in this country as British Pizza is a big soggy dough base covered with far too much topping. And it's not just stone baked that makes the difference, it's also down to the type of wood used for firing the ovens, the thinness of the pizza and the very fast baking.

Proper pizza is great food, but I don't normally touch the stuff in this country as British Pizza is a big soggy dough base covered with far too much topping. And it's not just stone baked that makes the difference, it's also down to the type of wood used for firing the ovens, the thinness of the pizza and the very fast baking.

I definitely agree with this.

For the very best pizza, get a flight to Naples and head straight for any of the pizzerias there. You wont want pizza anywhere else for a long time. The most simple marinara pizza is basically dough with tomatoes, oil, garlic and oregano. Absolutely gorgeous! And a massive pizza for £3 in a restaurant! Pay a bit more and get the very best fresh mozzarella on top and you will be hooked!

I'd get myself off to Naples now but been twice already this year and my missus has put me on a diet after I last came back from there.

The "Great British Flats" at the newly opened Graze Inn are very good.

http://www.grazeinn.co.uk/food_files/menu_2.pdf

Thin and crispy and very tasty.

Just ask them to go easy on the cheese though unless you like a very cheesy pizza.

I had one off the specials board with rotisserie chicken, peas and derby cheddar and there was far too much cheese for me but I guess others might really like that...

Archived