Plain Packaged Cigarettes: Is it a charter for counterfeiters ?

Has smoking increased since the advertising ban and the "under the counter" rule?

I havn't seen a graph, but logically, probably not. More likely a decline.

But having said that, I presume smoking figures are based on legitament sales. I just wonder (although I don't know) if there is a corresponding line upwards in the level of black marketeering?

But having said that, I presume smoking figures are based on legitament sales. I just wonder (although I don't know) if there is a corresponding line upwards in the level of black marketeering?

I don't know... I just asked the question.. :) If more counterfeits are being produced and sold then you'd probably expect a bigger detection of them as well...don't know if there are any figures for this either..

I can help you out then

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/lung/smoking/lung-cancer-and-smoking-statistics

Smoking in the UK has been reduced by around 50% over the past decade.

I don't know... I just asked the question.. :) If more counterfeits are being produced and sold then you'd probably expect a bigger detection of them as well...don't know if there are any figures for this either..

I don't know the detection rates either, but in that quote I posted earlier it did say that 65% of cigarettes seized in the EU were counterfeit. Which as far as the counterfeiters are concerned is just an occupational hazard I would presume, and is absolutely no deterrent whatsoever!

As we know with the drugs trade. For every loophole they think they plug, the criminals get ever more sophisticated and are pretty much always one step ahead.

Thank you. As I assumed. A decline :)

You are welcome.

It is the Government's target to eliminate smoking in the UK by 2050. Obviously there will be a Grow your own element, but as similar targets are proposed around the EU smuggling will get harder. I would expect that over the next few years more stringent rules, taxes and restrictions will continue to be rolled out. It certainly won't get any easier or cheaper to smoke.

You are welcome.

It is the Government's target to eliminate smoking in the UK by 2050. Obviously there will be a Grow your own element, but as similar targets are proposed around the EU smuggling will get harder. I would expect that over the next few years more stringent rules, taxes and restrictions will continue to be rolled out. It certainly won't get any easier or cheaper to smoke.

Well without wishing to be off topic. We all know about government targets, they rarely come to fruition, and of course as soon as there is a change of government, then they can hold their hands up and say, the failure is nothing to do with us, cos we're not controlling it any more! :)

I guess you're right, and it doesn't matter what I think or you think they will do whatever they want. Smoking will get harder and more expensive, but I don't think the trade in illicit tobacco will go away anytime soon. The harder the government try to bury the problem, the more the traffickers will profit.

You only have to look at the drug problem. That's not promoted with shiny packaging, or advertising, yet the drugs trade thrives. With their current policies on enforcement etc, they will never beat the problem.

Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate smoking. I wish I had never started, but I do, and I enjoy it (most of the time).

Well without wishing to be off topic. We all know about government targets, they rarely come to fruition,

Don't you think targets a re a good thing?Is it better to say ,for example,"we'll throw £50 million at this and see what happens" or " we'll throw £50 million at this and we hope to reduce smoking by 25%" ? How do you measure the succcess or not of an initiative if you don't set out at the beginning what you think the result should be?