Plain Packaged Cigarettes: Is it a charter for counterfeiters ?

Don't you think targets a re a good thing?Is it better to say ,for example,"we'll throw £50 million at this and see what happens" or " we'll throw £50 million at this and we hope to reduce smoking by 25%" ? How do you measure the succcess or not of an initiative if you don't set out at the beginning what you think the result should be?

Hahaha..yes you're right of course, and as you might suspect I have an inherent mistrust of governments in general hence my comment re the gov. :) But that's just me.

Hahaha..yes you're right of course, and as you might suspect I have an inherent mistrust of governments in general hence my comment re the gov. :) But that's just me.

No.it's not just you..but they need targets ..at least it's something to hold them to account to..

No.it's not just you..but they need targets ..at least it's something to hold them to account to..

I can't argue with your logic...it's very sound!

But you probably have to concede, that when they set these targets they do tend to miss them by a mile! :hihi:

Well without wishing to be off topic. We all know about government targets, they rarely come to fruition, and of course as soon as there is a change of government, then they can hold their hands up and say, the failure is nothing to do with us, cos we're not controlling it any more! :)

I guess you're right, and it doesn't matter what I think or you think they will do whatever they want. Smoking will get harder and more expensive, but I don't think the trade in illicit tobacco will go away anytime soon. The harder the government try to bury the problem, the more the traffickers will profit.

You only have to look at the drug problem. That's not promoted with shiny packaging, or advertising, yet the drugs trade thrives. With their current policies on enforcement etc, they will never beat the problem.

Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate smoking. I wish I had never started, but I do, and I enjoy it (most of the time).

It is difficult to argue against the Government meeting its targets on reducing smoking. The evidence is there for all to see and that evidence clearly points to the number smoking being insignificant by 2050.

Nor is it likely that a change of government will alter things. It was the Labour government that introduced the ban on smoking in public places and voted with all party support to make the ban stricter than had been recomended.

Regarding smuggling. It is a lot easier to enforce smoking controls and this will become easier as similar contols occur around Europe. Once taxes increase in other countries there will b little point making personal imports.

Illegal Drugs are an underground problem, but smuggling cigarettes is a much bulkier problem than smuggling heroin. Drug addicts face massive risks because they buy drugs laced with any bulking agent that comes to hand. So heroin is usually 80% Vim.

Illegal cigs are often made from any old rubbish that comes to hand. I doubt smoking human excrement will appeal to many. Those that aren't put off by the graphic pictures on the packets might be by the idea of what they might be smoking.

And where will people still be able to smoke them in 20 years? I doubt it will be on our city streets.

If we’re going to throw about statistics with wild abandon then it’s worth reporting the latest official NHS statistics:

In 1998 28% of adults smoked by 2009 that percentage fell to 21% - a 7% decrease over ten years – a little more modest then the 50% claimed earlier.

On a more pertinent note, smoking rates for youngsters between 16 and 19 years old have gone from 25% in 2005 to 27% in 2009 so all these recently introduced regulatory measures have actually had the opposite effect, as indeed will Plain Packaging....

If the Government’s ambition is to eliminate smoking in the UK by 2050, then they’re preferred policy approach for excessive regulation is heading in the wrong direction.

Peer to peer mentoring like the ASSIST programme remains the only prevention

intervention that has been rigorously evaluated to show real effects. Shame the government isn’t prepared to fund it…!

It is difficult to argue against the Government meeting its targets on reducing smoking. The evidence is there for all to see and that evidence clearly points to the number smoking being insignificant by 2050.

Nor is it likely that a change of government will alter things. It was the Labour government that introduced the ban on smoking in public places and voted with all party support to make the ban stricter than had been recomended.

Regarding smuggling. It is a lot easier to enforce smoking controls and this will become easier as similar contols occur around Europe. Once taxes increase in other countries there will b little point making personal imports.

Illegal Drugs are an underground problem, but smuggling cigarettes is a much bulkier problem than smuggling heroin. Drug addicts face massive risks because they buy drugs laced with any bulking agent that comes to hand. So heroin is usually 80% Vim.

Illegal cigs are often made from any old rubbish that comes to hand. I doubt smoking human excrement will appeal to many. Those that aren't put off by the graphic pictures on the packets might be by the idea of what they might be smoking.

And where will people still be able to smoke them in 20 years? I doubt it will be on our city streets.

Well I won't have that worry in 2050. I'll be more than likely long gone!

I understand what you're saying about cigs and illegal cigs being laced with god knows what. Legal cigarettes are too although not neccessarily with the same stuff. But like the drug addict. It's an addiction. You don't just switch it off.

Would you not think it better if the government had a scheme to help peoples addiction rather than price them and hide them and ban them from smoking in this place or that place? And don't tell me they do, cos I've never had any help! Even after asking for it.

A little more of the 8.5 billion they get every year from smokers put into helping rather than raking more and more taxation from smokers.

Well I won't have that worry in 2050. I'll be more than likely long gone!

I understand what you're saying about cigs and illegal cigs being laced with god knows what. Legal cigarettes are too although not neccessarily with the same stuff. But like the drug addict. It's an addiction. You don't just switch it off.

Would you not think it better if the government had a scheme to help peoples addiction rather than price them and hide them and ban them from smoking in this place or that place? And don't tell me they do, cos I've never had any help! Even after asking for it.

A little more of the 8.5 billion they get every year from smokers put into helping rather than raking more and more taxation from smokers.

http://smokefree.nhs.uk/?&gclid=CNKt68nb7rECFY8mtAodY2gAGg

If we’re going to throw about statistics with wild abandon then it’s worth reporting the latest official NHS statistics:

In 1998 28% of adults smoked by 2009 that percentage fell to 21% - a 7% decrease over ten years – a little more modest then the 50% claimed earlier.

On a more pertinent note, smoking rates for youngsters between 16 and 19 years old have gone from 25% in 2005 to 27% in 2009 so all these recently introduced regulatory measures have actually had the opposite effect, as indeed will Plain Packaging....

If the Government’s ambition is to eliminate smoking in the UK by 2050, then they’re preferred policy approach for excessive regulation is heading in the wrong direction.

Peer to peer mentoring like the ASSIST programme remains the only prevention

intervention that has been rigorously evaluated to show real effects. Shame the government isn’t prepared to fund it…!

What an interesting post...thanks!