Plain Packaged Cigarettes: Is it a charter for counterfeiters ?

I guess the answer is:

Yes if dodgy corner shops can stock them to make a bigger profit (remember the fake wine story from last year)

No from big supermarkets who have a reputation to uphold and may possibly buy direct from the manufacturer.

You 'may' be right, and of course whatever I say or anyone says it's only blind speculation anyway.

But I do feel that the market will be flooded with 'dodgy' fags, one way or another. To be honest even now as a smoker, I'm a little .... errrm ... perturbed when I go to a supermarket, and I can't actually see the display of cigarettes, it worries me about buying something 'blind'. So if the plain packaging thing comes in, even when I've bought from a reputable source, I'll still be buying even more blind, cos I won't be able to tell one brand from another. How will I even know if the brand I've asked for is the one I've bought?

I think we'd need to actually see the new packaging design and counterfeit measures before making any conclusions.

Yes I agree. But having seen on the news the packaging that will be used in Australia, it seems pretty plain to me, that you simply won't be able to distinguish one from another.

That's not to say, if it comes to the UK we will adopt the same 'bland' packaging, albeit with the nasty graphics on there.

Yes I agree. But having seen on the news the packaging that will be used in Australia, it seems pretty plain to me, that you simply won't be able to distinguish one from another.

That's not to say, if it comes to the UK we will adopt the same 'bland' packaging, albeit with the nasty graphics on there.

Here are the proposed ones for Australia.

http://smglobalnews.com/tobacco-plain-packaging-cigarette-companies-lose-australian-court-case/

Not plain or bland at all. Your entirely bogus argument rests on the idea that these would be easier to copy than the current designs - it doesn't make any sense.

And to make the smokers even more happier...

"In March 2011, the Coalition Government committed itself to holding a public consultation on tobacco packaging. This is due to take place in spring 2012.

The "Plain Packs Protect" campaign by an alliance of health organisations sets out the case for tobacco plain packaging in the UK, as does Cancer Research UK's "The Answer Is Plain" campaign, which was launched soon after the government consultation was announced.[62] Opposing this is the smokers' rights group FOREST which has launched a counter-campaign titled "Hands Off Our Packs"."

Here are the proposed ones for Australia.

http://smglobalnews.com/tobacco-plain-packaging-cigarette-companies-lose-australian-court-case/

Not plain or bland at all. Your entirely bogus argument rests on the idea that these would be easier to copy than the current designs - it doesn't make any sense.

Yes, as I said in an earlier post, I have seen the Australian version.

Bogus argument? Why is it bogus? I've expressed 'my' opinion. How can that be bogus? My opinion is just as valid as yours, yet apparently my argument is 'bogus'?

Of course they will be easier to copy. There's no variation in the design.

Yes, as I said in an earlier post, I have seen the Australian version.

Bogus argument? Why is it bogus? I've expressed 'my' opinion. How can that be bogus? My opinion is just as valid as yours, yet apparently my argument is 'bogus'?

Of course they will be easier to copy. There's no variation in the design.

It looks to me that the new packaging is no less difficult to forge than the old packaging.

And to make the smokers even more happier...

"In March 2011, the Coalition Government committed itself to holding a public consultation on tobacco packaging. This is due to take place in spring 2012.

The "Plain Packs Protect" campaign by an alliance of health organisations sets out the case for tobacco plain packaging in the UK, as does Cancer Research UK's "The Answer Is Plain" campaign, which was launched soon after the government consultation was announced.[62] Opposing this is the smokers' rights group FOREST which has launched a counter-campaign titled "Hands Off Our Packs"."

Sorry, I just don't 'get' how plain packaging protects anyone, when they're not in general sight in shops anyway! :loopy:

It looks to me that the new packaging is no less difficult to forge than the old packaging.

The liveried packaging is more difficult because some of it is silvered, some of it gold, and there are around 200 different designs. It's much easier and cheaper to copy one design, and 'get it right'.

Sorry, I just don't 'get' how plain packaging protects anyone, when they're not in general sight in shops anyway! :loopy:

I am no expert, but I guess it has a lot to do with marketing. If you are not allowed to market your product, how are people going to be attracted to it?