Bye Bye Virgin Trains, First Group Pay £6.5 Billion For West Coast Mainline

They cannot say anything because they know as well as everyone else that the previous two times a franchise has had to be cancelled early (GNER and NEEC) the contracts were let under a Labour led DfT (or SRA before then,) and when West Coast and Cross Country (both Virgin) were put onto a management contract status as obligations couldn't be met it was as a direct result of Railtrack incompetence, under Labours watch.

Nobody mention politics until ash, people are only bothered how much their fairs will increase and and how much degrading of the service there will be. The same moaning that has happened under any administration.

The majority of first trains are "sheds on wheels"

However, the trains aren't changing. Only tilting trains are permitted to run along the line, and all are currently with Virgin.

Contrary to public belief / Virgin's PR department, Virgin don't own any of thier trains, didn't design them, and only got to decide details (like paint colour, seat layouts and carpets). The plan to put 140MPH tilting trains on the line was well in place before Virgin took over.

Incidentally First do own some of thier own trains, 5 of arguably the best trains ever built - the HST.

I'm no fan of SRB, his airline is style over substance and him playing the poor little hard done by victim if as he would have you believe the big bad bully that is British Airways so much as sneezed in Virgin Atlantic's direction, did come across as childish.

But I did actually like the service Virgin Trains offered between Manchester and Euston.

Nobody mention politics until ash, people are only bothered how much their fairs will increase and and how much degrading of the service there will be. The same moaning that has happened under any administration.

Well, a multi-billion pound deal (which will undoubtedly collapse before it is complete) is juuuuust a little bit to do with politics, don't you think?

Nobody mention politics until ash, people are only bothered how much their fairs will increase and and how much degrading of the service there will be.

The same moaning that has happened under any administration.

I think in general you are right here. But in the post, I said the usual suspects (meaning posters on this forum) as you already knew :)

I still remember Blair a year or two before he was first elected standing in front of conference and saying "We will renationalise the railways".

I think that renationalising, or bailing out failed company = not much difference. Both involve subsidising.

Well, a multi-billion pound deal (which will undoubtedly collapse before it is complete) is juuuuust a little bit to do with politics, don't you think?

I think in general you are right here. But in the post, I said the usual suspects (meaning posters on this forum) as you already knew :)

You meant me, but I am many many lightyears in front of you and always will be, so stop trying to troll.

You meant me, but I am many many lightyears in front of you and always will be, so stop trying to troll.

If you think I meant you personally in my first post, then the only thing that is light years ahead of me is your paranoia (or self-praise).

Archived