Breastfeeding in public- disappointed in people's attitudes

I was in Graves park yesterday with my husband and children as it was such a nice afternoon. My second daughter was born two weeks ago and we've not managed to get out with the other two much, which I've felt pretty bad about. My other two were in the playground with my hubby and I went and sat on the bench in a shady area to feed the baby. There were a few people nearby; an old couple and then a younger couple with a toddler. Looked like they were parents having a nice day out with the little one and the grandparents. When I started feeding my daughter they moved away and as they walked past the older woman tutted and the younger one said something that sounded like "disgraceful" and the man said "I know, in the park, where there's children, it's indecent". I heard this clear as day and I was so shocked! I make such an effort to cover myself when I'm feeding, for my own modesty if anything.

I have never encountered an attitude like this towards breastfeeding and this is the third baby I have BF. I'm so disappointed by this to be honest and i was so upset. I wish I'd gone back to the car but we were parked out on the road away from.the car park, plus the car is boiling.

I truly hope this kind of attitude isn't representative of Sheffield because it was very sad to see :mad:

I was in Meadowhall the other day and heard similar comments been thrown at a young mother sat on a bench. You could figure out what she was doing but you couldn't see anything. I felt so sorry for her.

If lads can walk around with their hands down their underpants in public and young girls with skirts around their bum cheeks then I'm sure you can breastfeed in public! If people don't like it they are welcome to look in another direction.

You are giving your baby the best start in life and you have no reason to be ashamed of that. :)

I was in Graves park yesterday with my husband and children as it was such a nice afternoon. My second daughter was born two weeks ago and we've not managed to get out with the other two much, which I've felt pretty bad about. My other two were in the playground with my hubby and I went and sat on the bench in a shady area to feed the baby. There were a few people nearby; an old couple and then a younger couple with a toddler. Looked like they were parents having a nice day out with the little one and the grandparents. When I started feeding my daughter they moved away and as they walked past the older woman tutted and the younger one said something that sounded like "disgraceful" and the man said "I know, in the park, where there's children, it's indecent". I heard this clear as day and I was so shocked! I make such an effort to cover myself when I'm feeding, for my own modesty if anything.

I have never encountered an attitude like this towards breastfeeding and this is the third baby I have BF. I'm so disappointed by this to be honest and i was so upset. I wish I'd gone back to the car but we were parked out on the road away from.the car park, plus the car is boiling.

I truly hope this kind of attitude isn't representative of Sheffield because it was very sad to see :mad:

good for you girl! the natural way is always the best. and if you come across this again just smile sweetly and tell them to--suck it up!

it's lucky you wer'nt surrounded by the rainmac brigade. :hihi:

Archived