Breastfeeding in public- disappointed in people's attitudes

Just because something is "the most natural thing in the world" does not mean it will be instantly acceptable to be done in a "public" area in our society.

We wouldn't defecate, urinate, fornicate etc. in public even though these are the most natural things in the world.

We don't walk about naked on the hottest day - we cover bits of our body that are deemed to be "naughty" with shorts or trunks or bikinis.

Women showing their breasts in public is still seen as a taboo by some - generations were brought up like this and change takes time.

The people who made the comments were out of order but, perhaps the mother, with a little effort, could have been more discrete, knowing that offence can be taken by some.

I'm not sure that I would particularly appreciate walking into, say, a restaurant or cafe,

and two or three mothers were breast-feeding. A lot of men would find this "embarassing" just because we're not supposed to see this and don't know how to react.

Just because something is "the most natural thing in the world" does not mean it will be instantly acceptable to be done in a "public" area in our society.

We wouldn't defecate, urinate, fornicate etc. in public even though these are the most natural things in the world.

We don't walk about naked on the hottest day - we cover bits of our body that are deemed to be "naughty" with shorts or trunks or bikinis.

Women showing their breasts in public is still seen as a taboo by some - generations were brought up like this and change takes time.

The people who made the comments were out of order but, perhaps the mother, with a little effort, could have been more discrete, knowing that offence can be taken by some.

I'm not sure that I would particularly appreciate walking into, say, a restaurant or cafe,

and two or three mothers were breast-feeding. A lot of men would find this "embarassing" just because we're not supposed to see this and don't know how to react.

I myself have come across women breast feeding in public places and yes I have felt a little embarrassed, this as far as I am concerned is my problem not there's. Why should they stop what they are doing just because I might happen across them and feel slightly awkward. I'm sure the mothers themselves don't want anyone gawping at them while feeding their kids but if it has to be done, it has to be done.

Good post. I agree with most of what you say here. Surely though you would agree though that the 'problem' lies with the beholder and not the breastfeeding mother - i.e. we shouldn't be asking feeding mums to hide in corners or toilets, we should be promoting breastfeeding and saying ''this is what happens, get used to it''?

Honestly, comparing nursing and urinating/defecating in public is nor on and I find it incredibly insulting. I've said it a few times on this thread and I'll say it again, the majority of nursing mums will try their absolute hardest to be as discreet as they can for their own self-preservation. They are not out to make you feel uncomfortable just for the sake of it.

urinating/defecating in public is classed as a public indecency, breastfeeding isn't, please don't confuse them.

Ah many of the comments I recieved myself. The looks are bad too. Had to feed my little ones on a tram couple of times, covered myself up properly but still, they seem to think babies will wait.

Many of these comments come from people who are more than happy/comfortable to look at page 3 models in the Sun.

at the end of the day you are a mother and its the most natural thing to do with your child, don't let some idiot make you feel like that, it just shows how immature they really are!!! if my 7 year old son doesn't bat an eyelid at a woman breast-feeding and knows its natural, then it shows you how immature they really are!! you keep breast-feeding!!!! BIG UP TO THE BREAST-FEEDING CREW!!!!! :)

Breastfeeding women don't just suddenly pull their top right up and have everything on display you know! There are special tops and bras you can get so that you can breastfeed without showing a thing unless someone was really up close and staring. My sister breastfed her daughter in public all the time and I really don't think anyone ever noticed. You can't liken it to going to the toilet which is something we have control over - young babies need to be fed often and it would be ridiculous and very unfair to suggest that mothers should all be locked away in private until the baby is weaned.

Anyway do you take offence at seeing a small child having a wee at the side of the road? Similar thing - the kid obviously couldn't wait and it's not a problem!

OP don't bother with these idiots, I think it's only a small minority that have this silly attitude!

Archived