Breastfeeding in public- disappointed in people's attitudes

Hello Olive. It doesn't distress "me", and in all honesty I can't remember the last time I personally bore witness to it in public, but if it happened tomorrow I would feel a little uncomfortable if I couldn't move away from at least the near vicinity quite quickly, probably as much for the mother to have her privacy as for my own comfort. What I'm saying is that I can understand that it could quite easily cause distress and discomfort to others because I'm a very empathetic kind caring and courteous person. I also don't think that those people have "issues" because they're feelings are not in line with others who think the world evolves around them. Happily it doesn't.

How the bloody hell can it cause distress....you are so sad..

FACEBOOK - if you feel the need to move away quite quickly from a breastfeeding mother, fair enough. I trust you wouldn't be crass enough to stare or make rude comments.

If you do so partly out of a sense of wanting to give the woman some privacy, even fairer enough, but the minute you start wanting to impose your personal distaste for breastfeeding onto others we part company.

As you mention, I would of course never make a rude comment or stare. I would also feel a little bad for her having to do it in public if I got that vibe but I can imagine that some mothers have a very blase attitude to it and do it on public transport next to an unsuspecting fellow traverler. I mean jeez can you imagine that. You telling me that wouldn't make you feel seriously uncomfortable haha :hihi: But...I can tell you one thing, If it ever happens to me when I'm travelling first class, I would absolutely make a complaint and request a serious discount for my harrowing experience. Luckily, this would never happen in such surroundings.

I had to feed on public transport on more than one occasion. Didn't like doing it as I'm a private person and like to feed in privacy, however if a baby needs feeding it needs feeding. I just don't understand you :huh:

As you mention, I would of course never make a rude comment or stare. I would also feel a little bad for her having to do it in public if I got that vibe but I can imagine that some mothers have a very blase attitude to it and do it on public transport next to an unsuspecting fellow traverler. I mean jeez can you imagine that. You telling me that wouldn't make you feel seriously uncomfortable haha :hihi: But...I can tell you one thing, If it ever happens to me when I'm travelling first class, I would absolutely make a complaint and request a serious discount for my harrowing experience. Luckily, this would never happen in such surroundings.

Seriously though, exactly what is it about the possibility of catching a mere glimpse of someone's breast that you find so harrowing?

What's the emotion that's invoked in you when you imagine a woman sat across from you in a railway carriage start to feed her child?

Is it arousal, desire? Do you feel ashamed of yourself for wanting to look?

Disgust? Revulsion? Embarassment?

What is it?

Seriously though, exactly what is it about the possibility of catching a mere glimpse of someone's breast that you find so harrowing?

What's the emotion that's invoked in you when you imagine a woman sat across from you in a railway carriage start to feed her child?

Is it arousal, desire? Do you feel ashamed of yourself for wanting to look?

Disgust? Revulsion? Embarassment?

What is it?

I don't think he could answer that truthfully.....

Archived