Agreeing on a validation test for mediums..

MODS: Please don't bury this in with one of the megathreads, it will likely go unseen by those who may contribute!

Yes, mediums as in, the ones who claim to speak to the dead. If you need to get the "size" jokes out of your system, do so now :D.

There's believers and non-believers. Some of the believers also accept that there are fakes. Let's accept for a moment that some mediums MAY be genuine, and that those of us taking part in this thread were members of an organisation similar to the "guilds" of builders and craftsmen etc, but for mediums.

My question is this, can we come up with a test or exam for mediums to take which would prove them genuine (please don't reply "No, cuz their all fake innit!") ?

The point of such a test would be to validate/authenticate the medium for business purposes.

The details of the test would have to be agreed upon by both sides.

As a start, from my own point of view, the test must be repeatable and it must be within a location that the medium has had no access to be able to tamper with anything.

EDIT: The test would not be compulsory, just voluntary.

Given that mediums obtain their information from and about their subjects using various forms of cold and hot reading, eliminating as far as possible those methods would be the way forward: no verbal or non-verbal communication, feedback or other cues to subject status between medium, subject and test staff, and of course, no prior knowledge of, or contact of any kind, between the test subject and the medium before the test.

Something like this.

I don't think it can be proved satisfactorally. Or indeed, is meant to be. I do think it occurs, but not to order.

That is why I'm always a bit dubious of people making a living from it. If it's just 'not happening' in front of a paying public, what can they do but cheat?

It's one of those things that can't be measured or probed which is why science has such difficulty with it. There is a school of thought that says that when something is watched, it changes. I think this is probably a good example of that.

I don't think it can be proved satisfactorally. Or indeed, is meant to be. I do think it occurs, but not to order.

That is why I'm always a bit dubious of people making a living from it. If it's just 'not happening' in front of a paying public, what can they do but cheat?

It's one of those things that can't be measured or probed which is why science has such difficulty with it. There is a school of thought that says that when something is watched, it changes. I think this is probably a good example of that.

Science has difficulty explaining mediums? Really? Which particular sector of science would that be?

I don't think it can be proved satisfactorally. Or indeed, is meant to be.

If it is a genuine power or skill, it will be provable

I do think it occurs, but not to order.

What makes you think this though?

It's one of those things that can't be measured or probed which is why science has such difficulty with it.

It doesn't need to be measured or probed, it just has to pass a set test which both sides have agreed on

There is a school of thought that says that when something is watched, it changes. I think this is probably a good example of that.

In which case, wouldn't a normal customer ruin things for them by watching?

Archived