Should script writing ever be considered a job-seeking activity?

Guest Ant

My friend and flatmate is a writer, working hard at getting his first script broadcast on Radio Four. Occasionally I've co-written scripts with him, and he has undeniable talent. With each script he submits he seems to be getting closer to his goal. The last script he submitted (to the BBC Writersroom last April) received very positive feedback indeed; his script was amongst the top 6% of scripts received for the spring submission window.

He is unemployed, claiming Jobseeker's Allowance, and under the training company A4e.

But here's the thing. A4e, despite my friend being so close to breaking into the radio play market and despite being able to prove his high regard by the BBC, consider his writing a 'hobby', and are pressuring him to gain employment in either retail or warehousing, where he has experience. After four years of unemployment (he's in his late 40s and finding it very difficult to find a job since being laid off), he now considers writing to be the route most likely to lead to financial reward. In effect, he now considers his writing to be an ongoing, credible method of seeking employment.

What does everyone think? Is it wrong for him to be focussing all his efforts into a 'hobby', and, as some might see it, 'living off the state'? Or should his writing, under the promising circumstances, be considered a genuine job-seeking activity?

I can see both sides of the argument, but my sympathies are probably with his writing ambitions. This guy is not a hack. He is so close to his goal he, in his words, "can almost smell it".

Ignoring them may not actually be an option - A4e are prone to stopping Jobseekers Allowence payments at the drop of a hat. He may well find himself at some point without JSA for the duration of the sanction. Two weeks, I think.

Is your friend set-up as a sole trader with the Inland Revenue? He could then try the 'going self-employed' route and ask them for help in marketing and setting-up his business. I don't know if this would buy him any favour with a4e but it might get them off his back for a while.

He should get in contact with the beano.

Thank you, but I should imagine his ambitions lie beyond the level of slap-up feasts and Urgh! Argh! and Cor!

Is your friend set-up as a sole trader with the Inland Revenue?

He's considered that, but never having earned a penny through writing, he wasn't sure how he stood with Income Support. Not having had any, if you know what I mean.

My friend and flatmate is a writer, working hard at getting his first script broadcast on Radio Four. Occasionally I've co-written scripts with him, and he has undeniable talent. With each script he submits he seems to be getting closer to his goal. The last script he submitted (to the BBC Writersroom last April) received very positive feedback indeed; his script was amongst the top 6% of scripts received for the spring submission window.

He is unemployed, claiming Jobseeker's Allowance, and under the training company A4e.

But here's the thing. A4e, despite my friend being so close to breaking into the radio play market and despite being able to prove his high regard by the BBC, consider his writing a 'hobby', and are pressuring him to gain employment in either retail or warehousing, where he has experience. After four years of unemployment (he's in his late 40s and finding it very difficult to find a job since being laid off), he now considers writing to be the route most likely to lead to financial reward. In effect, he now considers his writing to be an ongoing, credible method of seeking employment.

What does everyone think? Is it wrong for him to be focussing all his efforts into a 'hobby', and, as some might see it, 'living off the state'? Or should his writing, under the promising circumstanses, be considered a genuine job-seeking activity?

I can see both sides of the argument, but my sympathies are probably with his writing ambitions. This guy is not a hack. He is so close to his goal he, in his words, "can almost smell it".

If I was him, I'd try to keep writing for as long as possible on jsa. That said if he has to get a warehousing job he might have to get one. He might mess up an interview ;)

if he does get one published I'm not sure there is a hard and fast rule he'll get two published.

Good luck though.

If he does get one published I'm not sure there is a hard and fast rule he'll get two published.

True, but his plan is to sign off should one be accepted for broadcast, living off the proceeds until either a second is accepted, or he runs out of money.

Archived