Should script writing ever be considered a job-seeking activity?

Guest Ant

True, but his plan is to sign off should one be accepted for broadcast, living off the proceeds until either a second is accepted, or he runs out of money.

Live off the proceeds?

How much does he think a first time writer of a Radio 4 script will get? It wont be a huge amount. At the very very best h may push £1000-£1500 but that wont support him for long.

Most of the writers I know had full time jobs alongside their scriptwriting enabling them to pay their bills. Very few people make a full time living as scriptwriters especially if they're particularly precious over the kind of productions they write for.

I don't think it's right for your flatmate to expect taxpayers, many of whom are doing jobs they don't particularly like, to subsidise a hobby that someone wants to turn in to a career.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but there is no reason he can't, or for that matter shouldn't be expected too, take paid work alongside his scriptwriting.

Your friend should get a job and carry on writing in his own time. I see no reason why taxpayers should support him until the dream comes to fruition, if ever.

As I said in the opening post:

After four years of unemployment (he's in his late 40s and finding it very difficult to find a job since being laid off)

A4e and serco cannot stop JSA payments, but they tell the job centre if they do not comply to showing up and taking part in set tasks.

JCP then look at that and make a decision. Hope that helps.

It does indeed, thank you.

Live off the proceeds?

How much does he think a first time writer of a Radio 4 script will get? It wont be a huge amount. At the very very best h may push £1000-£1500 but that wont support him for long.

He knows precisely what a first time writer of a Radio 4 script would be paid. Depending on possible repeat fees through a second broadcast via Radio 4 Extra, between £1500 and £2500, which would enable him to be free from being subsided by taxpayers for between 7.5 and 12.5 weeks, living on a wage of £200. He's done the maths.

I don't think it's right for your flatmate to expect taxpayers, many of whom are doing jobs they don't particularly like, to subsidise a hobby that someone wants to turn in to a career.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but there is no reason he can't, or for that matter shouldn't be expected too, take paid work alongside his scriptwriting.

We are in agreement. However as stated in the opening post, he's been out of work for many years now, with fewer and fewer interviews coming his way. This is a viable, tantalisingly near-at-hand opportunity to make a real change in his life from being one of the long-term unemployed.

This guy is a hair's breadth from being a paid writer, his writing is now as far from being a hobby as a student furthering his education while on benefits.

sadly the government agencies etc in charge of jobseekers etc think they know best and still live in the past regarding thoughts on whats a "real" job.

plus you HAVE to follow their way or you WILL lose your money

From recent experience, I completely agree with you.

He knows precisely what a first time writer of a Radio 4 script would be paid. Depending on possible repeat fees through a second broadcast via Radio 4 Extra, between £1500 and £2500, which would enable him to be free from being subsided by taxpayers for between 7.5 and 12.5 weeks, living on a wage of £200. He's done the maths.

We are in agreement. However as stated in the opening post, he's been out of work for many years now, with fewer and fewer interviews coming his way. This is a viable, tantalisingly near-at-hand opportunity to make a real change in his life from being one of the long-term unemployed.

This guy is a hair's breadth from being a paid writer, his writing is now as far from being a hobby as a student furthering his education while on benefits.

What benefits do students get...or have I misunderstood?

What benefits do students get...or have I misunderstood?

Income Support, if not studying full time - or was that a rhetorical question?

My husband made a living in the music industry for a number of years. When the jobs weren't coming in, he took all kinds of work to help support his family. Just as others in the same business did.

I don't see script writing, or painting, sculpture etc as any different. People who wish to follow their artistic dreams should be prepared to support themselves whilst doing so. If that means taking a low paid job, then so be it. Unless he has a valid reason for not working, such as chronic illness or disability, then he should at least be making the effort to support himself.

I don't see why he shouldn't be expected to take a job he is able to do. Of course if there are no jobs available or if he is physically unable to do a particular job then that is not his fault. I don't see how, in effect, trying to make himself unavailable for a "normal" work because he wants to concentrate on his writing is accaptable in jsa terms.

Archived