Can My Employer Do This?

OK. If it is actually company policy and you had all followed the procedure as others have said you could verbally complain along with your colleagues.

I dont know how big your company is but if your boss has a boss of their own make a complaint to the next higher authority. Something seems very unfair.

As stated before, in law there is probably very little you can do as the fridge will always belong to the company who will have every right to whatever they want with it. However, who makes the final decision be it your boss of someone higher could be a different matter.

Throwing the food away is criminal damage. Whilst the company owns the fridge it doesnt own the contents. How far you can take it depends on how much you want to rock the boat - but if you can do it without people knowing who it was I'd stuff the food up her exhaust pipe and see what happens come closing time.

Her reasoning was that the fridge 'was full and look untidy'. She couldn't fit in a big tub of profiteroles she had just bought. Everything in the fridge was in date and had a receipt taped to it, in tune with company policy. As I say, some stuff had been only been bought by people on their dinner break earlier in the day. There wasn't anything expensive or anything, just 2 for £5 ready meals, yoghurts, sarnies, milk, etc, but we thought we may have been given a warning or something. We do have it in writing that the fridge is for 'staff use', incidentally.

All bar one of us was in the building at the time, it would've taken five minutes to mention it.

The profiteroles, as it happens, was the only thing that remained in there.

2 meals for £5 is expensive to me :hihi: I should hope people aren't too afraid to ask for their money back. How the hell can she expect the staff to perform up to scratch if their brains are starved for her fatty profiteroles.

easy answer to this! chuck her/his stuff out. :clap:

Silly childish answer. Only likely to provoke ongoing problems and disharmony.

The adult, sensible way to tackle this is for the OP and his colleagues to approach the boss tell them they thought her behaviour was unnaceptable and ask that she refund the cost of the food she threw away.

Silly childish answer. Only likely to provoke ongoing problems and disharmony.

The adult, sensible way to tackle this is for the OP and his colleagues to approach the boss tell them they thought her behaviour was unnaceptable and ask that she refund the cost of the food she threw away.

are you insane! the boss will tell them to do one, and then pick em off one by one. you won't get no change out of this boss, or a refund. :loopy:

are you insane! the boss will tell them to do one, and then pick em off one by one. you won't get no change out of this boss, or a refund. :loopy:

On the contrary. If all of the people affected present a united front and put their concerns in writing - with a word to the boss that their concerns will be passed to the boss's boss unless there's a satisfactory outcome I think they stand a good chance of getting a) an apology and possibly b) their money back.

On the contrary. If all of the people affected present a united front and put their concerns in writing - with a word to the boss that their concerns will be passed to the boss's boss unless there's a satisfactory outcome I think they stand a good chance of getting a) an apology and possibly b) their money back.

yeah ok! A UNITED FRONT:hihi: you will be suggesting taking the boss to a tribunal next, infact it's a wonder you hav'nt suggested an all out strike.:loopy: get real and grow up, the boss has got a bazzy on and chucked their grub out, not threatened to shoot them at dawn.:huh:

Archived