Can My Employer Do This?

Just as an update, when we got to work today, our boss had stuck a notice in the locker room/ canteen area saying that anything left in the fridge or in the canteen/ lockers at closing time would be thrown in the bin. Staff have to take everything home, including uniforms. Someone who their shopping binned yesterday has contacted her union and they are coming in to see her. But it does all seem to have gone over the top now!

Just as an update, when we got to work today, our boss had stuck a notice in the locker room/ canteen area saying that anything left in the fridge or in the canteen/ lockers at closing time would be thrown in the bin. Staff have to take everything home, including uniforms. Someone who their shopping binned yesterday has contacted her union and they are coming in to see her. But it does all seem to have gone over the top now!

why have a fridge or a locker room, if you have to take every thing home at closing time. I think when your boss goes home at closing time, she should stay at home, what a clown. :loopy:

Her reasoning was that the fridge 'was full and look untidy'. She couldn't fit in a big tub of profiteroles she had just bought. Everything in the fridge was in date and had a receipt taped to it, in tune with company policy. As I say, some stuff had been only been bought by people on their dinner break earlier in the day. There wasn't anything expensive or anything, just 2 for £5 ready meals, yoghurts, sarnies, milk, etc, but we thought we may have been given a warning or something. We do have it in writing that the fridge is for 'staff use', incidentally.

All bar one of us was in the building at the time, it would've taken five minutes to mention it.

The profiteroles, as it happens, was the only thing that remained in there.

There's no specific legal duty to provide a fridge in the workplace - certainly not for general use, e.g. for staff to keep their sandwiches fresh.

Note. The only mention of employers providing a fridge is included in the Approved Code of Practice which supports the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999. This states that an employer has a duty to provide "clean and secure refrigeration" for storing breast milk produced by new mothers who have returned to work.

Tip. You would only have to provide a fridge in this case if the employee were to ask for one. You don't need to provide one as a matter of course.

If you do have one

Although there's no legal requirement to have one, many employers do provide a fridge for their staff. Fortunately, if its only purpose is to store food which has been brought in by staff for their own consumption, i.e. it's not being made commercially available, it doesn't have to be treated as if it were in a commercial kitchen. This means that you don't need to create food management plans or carry out recorded temperature checks.

Tip 1. Although you don't need to record every temperature check, you should regularly look to see that the fridge is working properly. If it isn't and food were to go off, not only could this cause food poisoning (which you could be liable for), but you could face staff asking you to compensate them for any lost food.

Tip 2. The fridge section should operate at no more than 5°C in its warmest part. If there's a freezer section, it should be kept between -18ºC and -22ºC. The easiest way of ensuring this is to keep a thermometer in the fridge.

Cleaning regime

Another problem associated with fridges in workplaces is cleaning and waste food. For example, milk gets spilt, fruit goes off etc.

Tip 1. Your fridge should be added to your cleaning rota. Ideally, it should be cleaned out and emptied once a week, for instance, after staff have left on a Friday evening.

Tip 2. To prevent staff from getting upset about food being thrown out, put a sign on the fridge which makes it clear when it will be cleaned and that any food left in it will be binned.

So basically she's a tubby bully

She doesnt have to provide a fridge or a locker room, her trying to be nice end up with a fridge full of rotten food and bad smell. i think she did right, if i was her i will sell the lockers and the fridge to show whos the boss

its her fridge she do what she wants, you havnt got a leg to stand on, stop wasting time and get on with your job, if you dont like it leave i am sure plently of people would love to take your place

It isn't her fridge, it's the company's and it is for 'Staff Use'. I am getting on with my job, and what I don't like is having stuff I've just bought dumped in the bin without warning just because she has the face on. But I can't get it back so I'm leaving it to one or two others at work to take it further.

It isn't her fridge, it's the company's and it is for 'Staff Use'. I am getting on with my job, and what I don't like is having stuff I've just bought dumped in the bin without warning just because she has the face on. But I can't get it back so I'm leaving it to one or two others at work to take it further.

Leaving it to the others! well I've heard it all now! how cheeky are you or a down right coward, I had some sympathy for you earlier, now I have none, where is this flippin fridge, I'll come and chuck your grub out. :rant::suspect:

Archived