Car upholstery - shampoo/valet service

I have recently bought a second hand car. The upholstery is not as clean as I would like - some stains and I think the previous driver was a smoker. The inside has been cleaned but I think a deeper clean of the upholstery is needed. Can any of you recommend anyone? Thanks!

I have recently bought a second hand car. The upholstery is not as clean as I would like - some stains and I think the previous driver was a smoker. The inside has been cleaned but I think a deeper clean of the upholstery is needed. Can any of you recommend anyone? Thanks!

I wouldn't normally recommend anything that comes in an aerosol can (apart from WD40) but my O/H bought some Car Plan 'Interior Valet' carpet and upholstery cleaner at the weekend, in preparation for us going on holiday in the car in a couple of weeks.

Whilst I was washing and waxing the exterior, she set about cleaning the upholstery (which was pretty filthy to be honest). I told her she was wasting her time and should hire an upholstery cleaning machine.

Quite the contrary as it turned out! ... the spray can did exactly what it said on the tin! Looks brand new! :o:)

I use the foam stuff in a can. Spray it on, leave a while then scrub with a damp cloth, continually rinsing it out when mucky.

When dry hoover out any residue.

Works a treat.

The only drawback is it comes out quite fast and can spread everywhere if you have the doors open. But the stuff stinks so much you need ventilation!

Presses the imaginary "+1 rep" button for you!

If that button's made of plastic, you can keep it looking 'brand new' by wiping it with WD40 ... just like any plastic (or rubber) interior and exterior trim on a car!

Best to wipe it on with a lint free cloth to avoid overspray ... rub it in to remove grime. Great on black stuff like windscreen arms, bumpers, door handles and tyres too!

Beats that horrible slimy silicone stuff hands down! :thumbsup:

(This is a public information broadcast from 'Area 51 and a half')

Archived