ABC Cinema, Angel St.

Chris M

I have vague memories of the Tufty club. I seem to remember you were given red, amber and green lollipops.

He was the predecessor of The Green Cross Code Man presumably because squirrels have a hard time crossing the road or something.

Wasn't it 'Look left, look right, look left again and if it's all clear then cross the road.' ? A lot simpler than all that looking and listening palaver of later years.

Originally posted by Vanbast

I

Wasn't it 'Look left, look right, look left again and if it's all clear then cross the road.' ? A lot simpler than all that looking and listening palaver of later years.

Not quite, but as near as dammit. it was "look right, then left, look right again and if all's clear, quick march!"

that was how I was taught it

PT

• 2 years later...
i saw the Exorsist there in 1970blob and the queues were right

up the side backing onto Cockaynes ,alsp st johns ambulence ppl were there to help with the fainters .

Also saw The sound of music there much earlier than that with my Mum

It was a wonderful cinema

I could be wrong but I thought The Sound Of Music was at the Odeon, Flat Street, where it had a two years run.

In fact it is now a hotel with Fox's superstore below it.

Even fox`s isn`t there now, it`s the 99p shop. When was that thread posted about it being a car park? It`s been Argos and the new hotel for years.

I can remember queuing up to see Saturday night fever and as we didn`t get in for the first showing, had to wait until the next one wich was about 2 1/2 hours. Also got conned by the now wife into seeing Last snows of spring. It was about a terminally ill boy which i hasten to add i didn`t know. I think i must have been the only lad in their, it was full of girls bawling their eyes out.

Had a few nice fumbles on the back row too :hihi:

it was left as a car park until about 4 years ago, I know this because the Shopmobility Scheme was run from a Portakabin in the car park where the cinema used to stand. Shopmobility moved into its current premises in march 02.

The store did indeed open as a "Fox's" (as Vanbast said, in the quoted post, which, incidentally was from 4-2-2004 -drat these Burke And Hare posts! lol ;) ) but, about a year/28 months ago it became the 99p shop, after fox's closed down.

I have fond memories of the Saturday morning matinee in the 80's which cost 50p :)

I recall seeing Beat Street and Spiderman on the big screen and taking my little brother to see Ewoks: Caravan of Courage on the small screen.

I wish the cinema was still there as the tiny ones we have these days have just lost that atmosphere :(

Still got my ABC minors badge! My mom, god bless her, was an usherette there for long enough so me and my bro used to get in free once a week. Seems like a good deal but the films were on for weeks on end. I could actually play the part of Mary Poppins! Happy days though :)

Still got my ABC minors badge! My mom, god bless her, was an usherette there for long enough so me and my bro used to get in free once a week. Seems like a good deal but the films were on for weeks on end. I could actually play the part of Mary Poppins! Happy days though :)

Wow! my mom worked there too Jane! (how about logging off ):hihi:

I remember the crazy queues when waiting to see Jaws, not for a few days but for weeks on end.

Also I remember seeing Earthquake with the special sound system, which made everything in the cinema rumble.

Ah proper cinema as I prefer it, not like these micro cinemas.

Archived