ABC Cinema, Angel St.

Chris M

It was the Classic Cinema in Fitzalan Square for me. My mum use to be an usherette there so we always got in free, had plenty of ice-cream and lollies and got to play sliding down the stairs when there was no-one in. REALLY HAPPY DAYS

I remember the dear old Classic. In the days before VHS/VCRs, it was often the only way of seeing movies that hadn't made it on to TV yet (Dr. Zhivago made a comeback there in the 70s IIRC).

I remember seeing 2001 there, as well as a double bill of Laserblast and The Norsemen (starring Lee Majors as a viking :o, watch out for the oil tanker in the background at one point).

At the risk of taking this thread even further off-topic, what was the name of The Anvil cinema before the council took it over?

oh did i look forward to saturday mornings going to the kids show. i remember meeting a boyfriend there i will always remember him as we shared the same last name and was the same age, our brthdays was on the same day to. they was fantasic them days. and it was only 10p to get in lol

I remember the dear old Classic. In the days before VHS/VCRs, it was often the only way of seeing movies that hadn't made it on to TV yet (Dr. Zhivago made a comeback there in the 70s IIRC).

I remember seeing 2001 there, as well as a double bill of Laserblast and The Norsemen (starring Lee Majors as a viking :o, watch out for the oil tanker in the background at one point).

At the risk of taking this thread even further off-topic, what was the name of The Anvil cinema before the council took it over?

cineplex and it had 3 screens

cineplex and it had 3 screens

Ahhh that's the one, I just couldn't remember it. It tended to show second-run or "out of time" films as I recall. I saw "Superman" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" there for the first time.

There weren't that many cinemas left by the early/mid 70s and I must have been in pretty much all of them, with the notable exception of Studio 5-6-7, which always seemed to show X rated films involving ladies rude parts.

Of them all, ABC 1 was undoubtedly the jewel in the crown, although the dear old Gaumont still has a lot of affectionate memories for me.

The big screen at Cineworld is a decent enough successor in many ways, although it lacks the charm and elegance of the ABC. Or maybe it's just me getting old?

It was the Classic Cinema in Fitzalan Square for me. My mum use to be an usherette there so we always got in free, had plenty of ice-cream and lollies and got to play sliding down the stairs when there was no-one in. REALLY HAPPY DAYS

i remember goin to see "The Empire Strikes Back" there and one of my friends threw a half sucked malteser at the screen and it stuck and rolled down and the mark it left was still there up until the cinema closed!!!

I have really enjoyed reading this thread, such fond memories some of which i had forgotten. I used to go to the Saturday matinee with the cartoons and they showed things like the three stooges, flash gordon and the Double Deckers. Later on i went to see Jaws with my friends and while is sat glued to the film i actually bit through my jacket toggle that i was chewing .

Later still it was Saturday Night Fever even though i wasnt old enough, i don't go to the pictures now. It doesnt seem the same.

No, certainly doesn't, i went with my kids to see night at the museum 2 at cineworld this morning and the atmosphere just wasn't there anymore, get the usherette back with the tray of ice creams and those orange drinks in plastic cartons!!!!:suspect::suspect::suspect:

We used to go there to watch the Kung Fu movies, they always used to have a double bill in those days. I remember that it used to be quite cold in there and once me and two of my friends went and sat in the circle when my friend nudged me and pointed to the front rail where a large mouse was running back and forth ! We spent the rest of the film sitting on our legs:hihi::hihi:

Archived