ABC Cinema, Angel St.

Chris M

Uncle :confused:somebody or other used to compare the satday morning matinee. Before the films used to start we had the satday morning sing song

"we are the boys and girls well known as"

"miners of the abc"

"and every satyday we all line up"

"to watch the films we like to shout about with glee"

Followed by the old Flash Gordon episodes in black and white -marvelous :hihi:

I remember taking my little sister to see Cliff Richard in The Young Ones at the ABC.

The programme was continuous, so we went in at around 2pm and didn't come out till about 10pm. My sister was ecstatic but I had a thumping headache.

Uncle :confused: somebody or other used to compare the satday morning matinee. Before the films used to start we had the satday morning sing song...

Here are the words:

..We are the boys and girls well known as

..The minors of the ABC

..And every Saturday we line up

..To see the films we like and shout aloud with glee

..We love to laugh and have a singsong

..Such a happy crowd are we

..We're all pals together

..The minors of the ABC

And here's the music:

Right now - all together, 1, 2, 3....:hihi:

On a visit to Sheffield ,my wife went to see 'Bullet' at the ABC cinema,whilst I went to see United play Cardiff in an midweek evening match. Can't remember the year,but the new Bramall Lane stand was under construction at the time. My wife was impressed with the cinema,I never did get to go there. Years before,The Regent was my favourite.

• 3 weeks later...

I have such happy memories of the ABC Cinema. Mu mum was an usherette there at one time. In those days the usherettes used to dress up for the film. She wore a flappers dress for "Throughly Modern Millie" and when a western film was on - something like "How the West was Won" they all dressed up as cowboys and girls. They had a promotion for Milky Way then and they had a wagon at the top of the sweeping staircase. I had a short beatle haircut then, so they picked me to play the Milky Bar Kid. I remember sitting on the wagon, giving Milky Bars away and shouting "THE MILKY BARS ARE ON ME".

I loved the staircase and the gorgeous smell of coffee from the coffee shop.

I was there most Saturday mornings when my mum was working and I was also a member of the Tufty club. I remember the Tufty handkerchief.

Here are the words:

..We are the boys and girls well known as

..The minors of the ABC

..And every Saturday we line up

..To see the films we like and shout aloud with glee

..We love to laugh and have a singsong

..Such a happy crowd are we

..We're all pals together

..The minors of the ABC

And here's the music:

Right now - all together, 1, 2, 3....:hihi:

Thank you for that brings back many memories