Bright Street History of Family's there

tay794

I am looking for my grandmothers family. My grandmother's name was Nellie Onions. Her father was David Onions and her mother's name was Isabella. They lived at 308 Bright Street in Attercliffe Sheffield. Her uncle lived at 322 Bright Street. They were Iron workers in the early 1900's. Nellie parents died when she was very young and she and her brother James were sent to the Barnardo Homes where they were boarded out. Nellie was sent to Canada when she was 14 and never had any further contact with any of her family. I'm wondering where I might find any further info on the Onions family members who lived in Sheffield. I know that her father had other family members in the area. There was a son Joseph, a daughter Jennie Ashfield, Alice, and Victoria who went to live with a Mrs Davies on Clifton Street. David's brothers were Joseph, James, and John who all lived on Bright Street in 1908. I would also like to know where I could find some old pictures of the area at that time.

Edited by tay794

This looks like Joseph and John in 1911.

Name: Joseph Onions

Age in 1911: 49

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862

Relation to Head: Boarder

Birth Place: Birmingham

Civil parish: Sheffield

County/Island: Yorkshire-West Riding

Street Address: 224 Bright St Sheffield

Marital Status: Single

Registration district: Sheffield

Registration District Number: 510

Sub-registration district: Attercliffe

ED, institution, or vessel: 3

Piece: 27991

Household Members:

Name Age

Fred Geo May 41

Lilie May 34

Bernard May 10

Dora May 7

Mabel May 6

Cedric May 4

Joseph Onions 49

John Onions 45

• 4 months later...

---------- Post added 23-12-2012 at 11:11 ----------

[/color]Hi Tay

I think we have been in touch before. Nellie was my great.aunt and Joe ( brother)was my grand father. The family originated from Tipton/ Dudley in Staffordshire and were barge boat people who moved to Sheffield when the barge business started to die off. I have a family trees started with the help of close and distant relations. The name Onions was changed to Harmon ( but through illiteracy or the thick accent ) it became Almond .

If you would like to see the tree or anything.please feel free to contact me. Also my Aunts and Uncles . (Now all gone) said that Their Grandad David emigrated to Canada later in life and that his wife died and was left with all the kids and that's why Nellie ended up a Bardados kid.

Edited by bebop58

I am looking for my grandmothers family. My grandmother's name was Nellie Onions. Her father was David Onions and her mother's name was Isabella. They lived at 308 Bright Street in Attercliffe Sheffield. Her uncle lived at 322 Bright Street. They were Iron workers in the early 1900's. Nellie parents died when she was very young and she and her brother James were sent to the Barnardo Homes where they were boarded out. Nellie was sent to Canada when she was 14 and never had any further contact with any of her family. I'm wondering where I might find any further info on the Onions family members who lived in Sheffield. I know that her father had other family members in the area. There was a son Joseph, a daughter Jennie Ashfield, Alice, and Victoria who went to live with a Mrs Davies on Clifton Street. David's brothers were Joseph, James, and John who all lived on Bright Street in 1908. I would also like to know where I could find some old pictures of the area at that time.

is your name beverley almond by any chance

• 2 weeks later...

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 22:15 ----------

[/color]Item Display

Search | Search Help

Surname: ONIONS

Given Name: Nellie

Sex: F

Ship: Sicilian

Year of Arrival: 1914

Departure Port: London

Departure Date: 1914-03-14