Plans to knock down the Elm Tree pub, Manor Top

a few weeks back i went to photograph the former elm tree pub at manor top. a large mock tudor pub typical design by stones brewery c1920s. noticed on one of the steel boardings a planning notice requesting for permission to pull down the pub and be replaced by retail units. the pub is derelict but seems a shame to flatten it. i never went in what was the inside like did it have two or more rooms or just an open plan layout with the bar on the back, iv been told it closed c2007 is that right? thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I went in a few times, back in 't day.

I can't remember what it was like - but all I know is it must have been famous because the old Sheffield buses had its name on their destination boards. You could catch a bus with "Elm Tree" as the destination. There's not many pubs in Sheffield you can say that about is there?

or is there? :suspect:

I think the best plan would be to open it up again and then knock it down whilst the locals are inside drinking.

I went in once at dinner and it was sound but it attracted a few in and once a landlord was hounded out as three taxis emptied and a team of amateur baseball players turned up without an invite.Bloke ran out of the back and took the third taxi back home.

That is a shame, the pub itself when in use was very rough I believe, but the building has so much potential, it looks to be huge and of a very desirable design, it would be better for them to modernise it and turn into a high quality restaurant, it's about time all that area was improved and redesigned it's crying out for a bit of TLC. There's too many traditional, characteristic buildings being demolished to make way for modern, ugly monstrocities. Why waste a lovely old building?

There was 2 rooms at the back, when you went in from the front the snooker table was to your left, 2 small areas to your right and then through a door into the another room which also had its own door to the front on the right hand side,

I wouldnt say it was rough it just had character, like The Byards, Manor Hotel and The Springwood

Edited by sheffgrow

there was 2 rooms at the back, when you went in from the front the snooker table was to your left, 2 small areas to your right and then through a door into the another room which also had its own door to the front on the right hand side,

i wouldnt say it was rough it just had character, like the byards, manor hotel and the springwood

Well the three you mention were so spartan folk would take their own folding chairs and toilet tissue.

Had a pint in there once or twice. I recall seeing an event advertisment, they were going to have some lesbian mud wrestling on a Thursday at 8:30pm. I was half tempted to go.

Would be a shame to knock it down. Transport links are very good. I'm surprised Wetherspoons haven't bought it and turned it into a roaring success to be honest. Manor Top could do with a pub.