Plans to knock down the Elm Tree pub, Manor Top

I went in a few times, back in 't day.

I can't remember what it was like - but all I know is it must have been famous because the old Sheffield buses had its name on their destination boards. You could catch a bus with "Elm Tree" as the destination. There's not many pubs in Sheffield you can say that about is there?

or is there? :suspect:

I think the best plan would be to open it up again and then knock it down whilst the locals are inside drinking.

That is an awful thing to say perhaps you were born fortunate in life. Some folk never get up of the floor especially in these hard times of haves and have nots.

The current plans are for it to be ripped down and replaced with a building that would contain a number of retail units, facing the street. The plans were sent to local residents (including myself) well over a year ago, and nothing has been done so far.

Asda has applied for permission to change the delivery bay access earlier this year, so lorries can stop in the middle of the road and then reverse down the side of the pub (instead of blocking the entrance/exit to the main Asda carpark) which may or may not be causing a problem with the plans for the pub.

A bigger problem is probably the rumour that Tesco is in the frame to buy and build on the TA site.

I had a chat to a guy who was checking over the pub a few years ago and making sure it was still secure; he said the roof at the back was in such a bad state the entire rear half of the building was rotten and would be uneconomic to repair.

I live near it; rip it down please before someone finally torches it. There is no demand for a 'nice restaurant' or a 'hip wine bar' at Manor Top!

It's been empty for so long that it's probably falling down. Something needs to be done with it, it's just a derelict eyesore now. About 5 or 10 years too late to refurb it as a pub or restaurant. The for sale / to let sign was still up when I passed yesterday.

Edited by anywebsite

• 3 years later...