Cold callers on the phone

Ive have a new land line number for all of 1 week. No one knows it, not my friends or my family but yet ive had 4 cold callers ringing me this week offering services like will writing and accident claiming.

How the chuff did they get my number and why does being on the tps not stop them??

I went ex directory yeah. These cold calls were part of the reason i changed my number. Id have in excess of 5 a day every day ranging from Microsoft scams to PPI to ambulance chasers and even will writing services.

I went ex directory and went on the tps but ive had loads of calls already :(

I'm on Caller Preference & ex directory but they still get through somehow. Caller display phones are very useful for this! It usually shows as 'International Caller' or 'Out Of Area' & they usually ring right in the middle of Corrie!! Recently , I've been getting calls that show on the display as just a row of 0000000's. No number, just noughts. So I have no idea what that is!!! Anyone else had the zero call? What is it?

Someone else had your number before your telephone service provider gave it to you!

I thought that so asked Sky and theyve said "no, its brand new".

It starts with a 3 so my number is 01143, they told me there have been no recycling of 01143 numbers yet.

:confused:

I was thinking, do companies use those auto dialers?

Maybe it just dials a random number and the person on the end (the caller) just takes a punt with the questions they ask.??

Its relatively easy to start with a list of "phone" numbers and keep ringing until someone answers.

I could "make up" 10 phone numbers and get at least 2 or 3 answers.

Another alternative is that people are giving out your number as a way to avoid marketing calls,perhaps their number is the 01142 version of your number,they change a digit and get left alone.

Since changing my phone number last year i haven't had a marketing call specifically for me i.e asked for by name.

Its relatively easy to start with a list of "phone" numbers and keep ringing until someone answers.

I could "make up" 10 phone numbers and get at least 2 or 3 answers.

Another alternative is that people are giving out your number as a way to avoid marketing calls,perhaps their number is the 01142 version of your number,they change a digit and get left alone.

Since changing my phone number last year i haven't had a marketing call specifically for me i.e asked for by name.

You may be onto something there.

All the calls have been for specific people, none of them me. When i tell them they have the wrong number though they still try and sell me stuff :hihi:

They are tryers ill give them that.

I had 3 of these calls yesterday, people speaking with an "accent" and askin for me personally. Unfortunately for them I am going through a depressive stage at the moment so they got it both barrels!!!!!! and I mean both barrels. The fact I am registered with TPS makes no difference.

Archived