Who Was The Best Nightclub Act You Saw?

old tup

In the late 60s a lot of my leisure time was spent with friends and our wives and girl friends in Sheffields night clubs.Mostly the Cavendish later named Baileys on Bank St.,the Fiesta and the Penny Farthing all the clubs at this time had all the top acts showing,Shirley Bassey,Tommy Cooper,Bob Monkhouse,the Batchelors,Neil Sedaka,Freddie Starr ect.,we saw them all.One star impressed me more than most Billie Eckstein the great American coloured singer what a voice he had,does any Sheffield Forum members have a favourite act in their memories from this time or since?.:love::help::hihi:

In the late 60s a lot of my leisure time was spent with friends and our wives and girl friends in Sheffields night clubs.Mostly the Cavendish later named Baileys on Bank St.,the Fiesta and the Penny Farthing all the clubs at this time had all the top acts showing,Shirley Bassey,Tommy Cooper,Bob Monkhouse,the Batchelors,Neil Sedaka,Freddie Starr ect.,we saw them all.One star impressed me more than most Billie Eckstein the great American coloured singer what a voice he had,does any Sheffield Forum members have a favourite act in their memories from this time or since?.:love::help::hihi:

Unlike you, OT, I never got to see Billy Eckstine when he toured over here. I'm envious, Iv'e always been a fan of his from way back. I remember reading a newspaper article about his visit to Sheffield, in it they said there'd been a bit of a fracas in the audience and B.E got into an argument. Was that true? He was always a tough customer though.

Unlike you, OT, I never got to see Billy Eckstine when he toured over here. I'm envious, Iv'e always been a fan of his from way back. I remember reading a newspaper article about his visit to Sheffield, in it they said there'd been a bit of a fracas in the audience and B.E got into an argument. Was that true? He was always a tough customer though.

Not the night we saw him it was Saturday night the wife and I sat near the front,he was a class act alright she never forgot it you could hear a pin drop he had the audience spellbound.It was no effort to him he didn,t force a note,top man at his craft!.:D

Archived