Ceremony music and first dance

Can anyone help please?

''Our'' song is 'we go together' (from Grease) because we're not a serious type, and we like a laugh.

But, Etta James' At Last is perfect for us. It took us a long time to do the right thing, and the lyrics are beautiful as is her voice. But it's a serious song but that isn't what we are about.

So, does anyone have any idea what kind of song would be like Etta James, but not serious?

Other than that, what do we have to seat our guests for the ceremony? Walking down the aisle? Signing the register? Walking out with hubby? I like Johann Pachelbels, Canon in D, to seat our guests. But other than that I am stuck!

Please help :) xx

We made a cd of all our favourite songs to play whilst guests were being seated. All the ones we liked that we're about love/relationships or things that meant something to us.

We really didn't want any classical stuff as its just not us.

I walked in to 'this I promise you' by roman keating (amazing words)

For signing the register:

Somewhere over the rainbow - Israel kamakawiwo'ole (sp?)

Better together - jack Johnson

Wonderful world- Sam Cooke

For our 1st dance we had 'stuck with you' Huey Lewis and the news this was right for us as we'd been together a long time when we married and the words were perfect whilst being a bit of fun too... And not too slow for dancing lol

Find songs that are right for you and mean something to you two, that's all the advice I can offer:D

Are you marrying in a church or is it a civil ceremony?

I agree that you have to choose music and songs that you like or that are special to you. I walked down the aisle to Ave Maria, our choir sang Love changes everything, You raise me up and Silent night whilst we signed the register and we walked out to Joy to the world. We had carols as hymns as we got married at Christmas time. I really didn't want here comes the bride and wanted something a bit different. We were limited to a certain extent as a church.

For our first dance we had Leona Lewis Footprints in the sand as the lyrics meant a lot to us and our relationship. Then for our evening disco we gave the DJ a long list of varying types of music that me and my hubby both liked as we do have different tastes so wanted a mix. We also asked all of our guests to pick a song when they returned their RSVP's so that we could please everyone.

I went to a wedding in November where the bride walked down the aisle to Bruno Mars I think I want to marry you.

The only rule is if it is a civil ceremony you can't have anything religious and if it is a church it has to be appropriate but apart from that it is totally up to you!!

If you are looking for singers I know a great musician / singer / songwriter - http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/islasfather

I also know a fab violinist - http://www.femaleviolinist.co.uk/

Just go for it and do what you want it's your day!! You could even do a mash up of At Last with Grease!!

I forgot to say, we actually had 3 first dance songs!!

We had:

Grow old with you (from the wedding singer)- bit of a laugh but it's us

Stuck with you- as I said before

Everything- Michael buble, we really wanted this as our song but my friend had it a few months before so we decided this would be the song where everyone joined us for a boogie.

We didn't have a first dance at all- we both really hated most discos so we didn't have one, we had a card school, a CD player and lots of sitting about, talking, eating good things and drinking things we would regret in the morning (and we were picked up to catch a plane less than half an hour after the last guests had gone to bed- we really regretted that!).

As for music for the ceremony, we had a classical guitar duo, who played before, during and after the ceremony and then who stayed to provide background music during dinner.

I walked in to part of the Goldberg variations.

Each to their own :)

Church wedding.

After a chat, we have decided to get a CD with songs on, in order that flow together. To play whilst seating out guests (so 5 songs for that part), then the 6th to be mine walking down, then another 5 for signing, and then 1 for walking out together.

Or, playing the same first 5 for both longer parts of the service. I only have 2 definates, one is Johann Pachelbel Canon in D, the other C.P.E Bach Cello Concerto. To say my other half got me listening to pieces from the Baroque period, yet we are quite cheesy (love the film Grease, and Mama Mia!) and most people assume we only listen to bassline etc and guess we're quite the chav! But we are trying to pick what represents us, as a unit. Its proving quite difficult.

What are peoples opinions on the same 5 being played? Yay or Nay?

I also have an added problem, somebody suggested 'The drifters - save the last dance for me' and I love it, as a first - or maybe non-traditional, last dance? Opinions please?

I cannot wait to be married, I think its because I will have gone grey with lots of wrinkles by the time it comes to it. But theres no going back once he has gone ahead - ha!

Thank you for the replies! I will go through them, and have a listen online at the suggestions xxx

• 2 weeks later...

Archived