Personal details

No I refuse to. Then they will say it makes the warranty invalid, just argue it and they back down, if not I walk out. There are plenty of other places to buy things from.

Glad it is not just me it really annoys! :suspect:

It's called data mining. If you buy goods on a debit/credit card your details are recorded and studied over a period of time. The store can forecast when you're likely to come again, how much you're likely to spend and what you're likely to buy.

The original poster was talking about a refund. There is no requirement in the legislation that says you can demand an address if you are refunding money for faulty goods.

For sales yes, that acceptable if you really want to lose trade but be careful of asking for it after the sale has been concluded if you want the information as again you may not get it.

But there was a wider issue on the topic which was people having an issue giving their details in a shop in general.

My point was: I don't care.

I don't care if you don't want to give me your details, if you want to buy it from me, you will give me your details, if you don't, you won't be buying it from me.

And people think we care. Honest, we don't. I don't care what your name is, I don't care what your address is, and I don't care if you buy it from me or not.

Don't give me the details, don't get the product.

Simple.

I work in pharmacy, it's a neccessity to ask people to confirm their name and address.... would hate to think joe bloggs of 35 sunshine street got joe bloggs of 35 rainy streets methadone :-/ if you dont want other people in the shop knowing your address then carry it around on a piece of paper in your pocket and just show that when your asked..... that's what some of our customers do anyway. Sometimes it just can't be helped

But there was a wider issue on the topic which was people having an issue giving their details in a shop in general.

I don't care if you don't want to give me your details, if you want to buy it from me, you will give me your details, if you don't, you won't be buying it from me.

And people think we care. Honest, we don't. I don't care what your name is, I don't care what your address is, and I don't care if you buy it from me or not.

Simple.

Don't sell products, go out of business. People care then I'd imagine.

I was thinking more of the case where something is sold, as in paid for, but then they need your address "for the warranty"

Too late. You are not going to get it - and I will have the warranty regardless. This used to be a favourite trick it seems of PCworld.

I work in pharmacy, it's a neccessity to ask people to confirm their name and address.... would hate to think joe bloggs of 35 sunshine street got joe bloggs of 35 rainy streets methadone :-/ if you dont want other people in the shop knowing your address then carry it around on a piece of paper in your pocket and just show that when your asked..... that's what some of our customers do anyway. Sometimes it just can't be helped

I'm fine with things like Dr's and dentists wanting details, that makes sense, it is for your own protection and safety.

Shops that ask for details when all your doing is buying a small electrical item just seems wrong.

There is no legal requirment to give details if buying tv equipment just like there is no legal requirement to have a tv licence. People think there is but really there is none.

There really is a legal requirement to have a TV license, unless you prefer to have a big fine instead.

There really is a legal requirement to have a TV license, unless you prefer to have a big fine instead.

There really isn't a requirement to have a TV licence to *own* or *buy* a TV - there is only a requirement to have a licence to *install* one. That installation has a quite narrow definition within the Act - I've a number of TV's and none of them require a TV licence, much to TVL's annoyance.

I work part time in a shop and there are certain products we need to ask name and address etc for.

To be honest I think you're all paranoid, nobody cares who you are, nobody cares where you live.

It's a bit arrogant to assume that anybody in that shop would have an interest in your name and address, and so what, so what if they did overhear it? What are they going to do with your name and address? Post you a letter?.

What could I do with that information? Nothing of consequence.

Staff don't ask your details because they want to know where you live, they ask because the systems dictate it, and if you have a problem with giving the information, the transaction won't be processed and you can go and buy it somewhere else.

Simple.

It's a bit arrogant to think that we care about the system your particular shop has designed and installed. There's no legal or ethical reason you need our name or address or any other details (apart from proof of age) in order to sell the vast majority of items.

I'm quite happy to give you nonsense to type into your system, but I'm also quite happy to shop elsewhere if a particular shop is going to be funny about it.

Simple.

You must be a really rubbish sales person if you don't care about selling things.

Are you in reality just operating a till?

There really isn't a requirement to have a TV licence to *own* or *buy* a TV - there is only a requirement to have a licence to *install* one. That installation has a quite narrow definition within the Act - I've a number of TV's and none of them require a TV licence, much to TVL's annoyance.

Yes I'm aware of that.

The poster I was replying to appeared to be saying that there was never an obligation to get a TV license, in which they are clearly mistaken.

Archived