Personal details

I work part time in a shop and there are certain products we need to ask name and address etc for.

To be honest I think you're all paranoid, nobody cares who you are, nobody cares where you live.

It's a bit arrogant to assume that anybody in that shop would have an interest in your name and address, and so what, so what if they did overhear it? What are they going to do with your name and address? Post you a letter?.

What could I do with that information? Nothing of consequence.

Staff don't ask your details because they want to know where you live, they ask because the systems dictate it, and if you have a problem with giving the information, the transaction won't be processed and you can go and buy it somewhere else.

Simple.

If nobody cares about the information why do they go to the trouble and expense of collecting it? Shop assistants might not be bothered but companies certainly are.

Many shops now ask for details for refunds. This is to prevent fraud, eg people stealing stuff and taking back for a refund.

I would have thought presenting a valid receipt is proof enough the item has been payed for.

Mailing lists and marketing opportunities, you see.

Which can be a real pain.

I have a domain name, so anything addressed to whatever@mydomain.com comes to me. There are a few real mailboxes, the rest goes into catchall@mydomain.com

If I buy something online from the abc company, then I use -as my e-mail address - abc@mydomain.com.

If I start getting e-mails addressed to abc@mydomain.com which don't come from the abc company, then I set up my account to forward all such e-mails to the abc company.

If they want to sell my e-mail address to marketing companies, they may as well see what the marketing companies do with it.

All this talk of TV license really winds me up..

it is NOT a requirement to have a TV license if you own a TV, you only require a TV license if you use any equipment to, View or Record TV as it is being broadcast, this is, Sky+, your Ariel, TVCatcup.com etc...

if you ONLY use iPlayer/4oD/itvPlayer, then you don't need a TV License...

if you have your TV, and only have the computer/games consoles hooked up, the TV's not plugged into the aerial, and not even tuned in, then you're fine!

it does state "as it is being broadcast" in the terms of the TV License....

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

Source: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

Exception: If you only watch catch-up services online, then you don’t need a licence. For example, you don’t need one to use BBC iPlayer, or ITV player, to catch up on programmes after they have been shown on TV.

Source: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology--devices-and-online-top8/

Exception: If you only watch catch-up services online, then you don’t need a licence. For example, you don’t need one to use BBC iPlayer, or ITV player, to catch up on programmes after they have been shown on TV.

Which is strange, given that if you are not in the UK (or rather if iPlayer or ITVPlayer detect that your IP address is not in the UK) then you can't use those services ... because you are outside the area controlled by TVLRO.

Which is strange, given that if you are not in the UK (or rather if iPlayer or ITVPlayer detect that your IP address is not in the UK) then you can't use those services ... because you are outside the area controlled by TVLRO.

This is because many of our 'home grown' programmes are sold to operators over-seas to show there, and it would allow people to watch them ahead of time..

Just like shows made in the US are sold here, and shown here later than over there, try and watch them on their local stations 'catchup' service and it stops you just the same way...

Archived